Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of an aftermarket or alternative for the front left converter w/ 02 sensor? Just bought used 2002 Dakota SLT Quad cab; 4.7L V8, and here in Cali, we have to smog test in order to transfer ownership...The DOG failed, 02 sensor bank1 sens2. Further exploring I discovered that converter was bad. This truck has THREE converters. The mechanic said I have to replace the TWO front ones, and the only place to get these are the dealer. He quoted me $2400.00 parts and labor. Is there a converter that is compatible, or? I just want it to pass smog, take care of title and registration. AND then I'm going to SELL it! After talking and researching, I think I made a mistake buying a DODGE! Please help!!! I've been a Chevy man for years, this is GODS way of punishing me for changing my loyalties....lol

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

Magnaflow makes catalytic converters. I replaced mine with an aftermarket hi-flow one but my truck is a bit older and has just one cat. I'd look around online; I'm sure you can find it for less than that quote. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you tried an internet search for those parts? Your investigation is right, you have 3 cats all interconnected as a single assembly - here's a link to 1 supplier. You have a choice if you can weld - you can buy one like shown in the link and then just move the O2 sensors over (assuming they're any good or will come out of the old pipe) or you can remove the old assembly, cut the piping from that, and weld it to generic 3 way cats (this doesn't save you much & can be a lot more expensive for an inferior assembly if you need to have the garage do the welding - mechanics aren't necessarily good welders either). I would buy an assembly such as I've shown and then have a garage do the installation if you are unable to do it yourself - a lot less labor involved. I would even get new O2 sensors and have the mechanic put those in as well. The old sensors will be hard to remove and may not be functional, so again, to minimize labor costs I'd add new ones - the labor savings will be about half of what you'll pay for new sensors. With new sensors, you'll again have a choice - replacement style (just like the originals including the connectors) or generic style (you'd need to cut the connectors off the originals and transfer them to the generic sensors. For the few bucks extra, I prefer the replacement style, but if you choose the generic, be careful in how you handle the new ones - don't get grease, oil, or other contaminants on the sensor surface - these things will ruin the sensor operation.

Another "saving" is in the old cat system - I cut the pipes off the cat assemblies and sell them to a scrap yard. There are a few that specialize in collecting old cats for the contents and will pay good cash for OEM units. I've picked up $75 - $100 for each OEM cat and about $8 - $10 for generic aftermarket cats. You need to call around to find a local scrap yard that specializes in the precious metal recycling - a general purpose metal yard will give almost nothing for them, it's too much trouble for them to segregate the parts. If you leave the old cats with the garage, they'll get the cash and not give you a break in the job cost, so don't hesitate in telling them you want the whole unit back and not to substitute it with a bunch of generic junk.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Anyone know of an aftermarket or alternative for the front left converter w/ 02 sensor? Just bought used 2002 Dakota SLT Quad cab; 4.7L V8, and here in Cali, we have to smog test in order to transfer ownership...The DOG failed, 02 sensor bank1 sens2. Further exploring I discovered that converter was bad. This truck has THREE converters.
You have a California version of the Dakota that has stricter emission laws
than any state of the union, so that is the price you have to pay for living
in Cali. :D

The mechanic said I have to replace the TWO front ones, and the only place to get these are the dealer.
What has to be replaced? The O2 sensors or the cats? The cats should
last a long time, the sensors get plugged up. This can happen with any
precat sensor, as the oil coating on the cylinder walls will add to the exhaust
gases and coat the sensor 02 element. This will happen more often in high
mileage vehicles where there is wear on the oil control ring on the piston(s).
The front sensors get clogged and eventually the cats will get clogged as
well.

He quoted me $2400.00 parts and labor. Is there a converter that is compatible, or? I just want it to pass smog, take care of title and registration. AND then I'm going to SELL it!
If both front converters are plugged, then it will be a costly repair.
It may pass the smog test with just the 02 sensors replaced, provided
that the aft cat is still good. If not, it's an expensive repair, and one
that you have to bite the bullet having a California vehicle.

After talking and researching, I think I made a mistake buying a DODGE! Please help!!! I've been a Chevy man for years, this is GODS way of punishing me for changing my loyalties....lol
Ya, maybe..but all the new vehicles are similar in emissions standards, especially when it comes to California emissions. No matter which vehicle
you get these days, catalytic convertors and 02 sensors up the yingyang
are part of that, being it Dodge, Ford or GM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 02 sens was shot, as in just a plug filling a hole. The honeycomb in the converter was blocking the hole right below the threads, so just replacing the sensor was out. I've spent hours looking online, but the ones that would work cant be shipped to Cali. My question is..does it HAVE to be the same as whats on there now? Isn't there a compatible one? My concern is if I get a universal fit CC, will it pass smog?

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you do a bit of a search, you can find California Legal aftermarket cat systems for your vehicle - here's a link. Keep my other comments in mind, you can recover some cash from what's already on there - I assume they recycle in California also.

If you're unsure about some of the offerings, use the toll-free numbers provided to give the suppliers a call - they can clarify any issues you might have.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you do a bit of a search, you can find California Legal aftermarket cat systems for your vehicle - Keep my other comments in mind, you can recover some cash from what's already on there - I assume they recycle in California also.

If you're unsure about some of the offerings, use the toll-free numbers provided to give the suppliers a call - they can clarify any issues you might have.
The jist of the matter with his vehicle is that the converters MUST meet
California CARB emission standards, so they will be more expensive in the
aftermarket. He can't use any federal emissions convertors because they
will not pass the stringent tests in California. And on top of that, the
aftermarket auto parts online warehouses are not allowed to ship 49 state
cat convertors to California addresses.

So if his cat is plugged, his only choice is either the OEM convertor (as the
mechanic says) or an approved CARB aftermarket CC.
Anything else installed will not pass the e-test and it would be a big waste of
money, because he would have to do it all over again with the approved
cat converter and that would triple his repair costs.

Like I mentioned before, he is going to have to bite the bullet and install CARB (California Air Resources Board) regulated CC if he wants to have it back on the road in California..or sell it outside the state to somebody in the other 49 states who can do the repairs with Federal emissions standards catalytics.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The 02 sens was shot, as in just a plug filling a hole. The honeycomb in the converter was blocking the hole right below the threads, so just replacing the sensor was out. I've spent hours looking online, but the ones that would work cant be shipped to Cali. My question is..does it HAVE to be the same as whats on there now? Isn't there a compatible one? My concern is if I get a universal fit CC, will it pass smog?
For your vehicle,it must be a CARB approved catalytic convertor.
Nothing else will work well enough to pass the e-test legally.

Most aftermarket auto parts places will NOT ship any CC that do not meet CARB standards to California addresses.

So you are just wasting time trying that angle...(unless you drive to a another
state and pick one up yourself..and install it THERE..but chances are it WILL NOT meet the strict e-test because the catalyst inside is NOT DESIGNED for the reformulated California gasoline used there.)

In the end with the cost of 2? converter(s) that don't meet California CARB standards as well as the cost of installing it and then and removing it/them..
and then to install the approved CARB converter..you will be out a LOT more than the $2400 originally you were quoted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The jist of the matter with his vehicle is that the converters MUST meet
California CARB emission standards, so they will be more expensive in the
aftermarket. He can't use any federal emissions convertors because they
will not pass the stringent tests in California. And on top of that, the
aftermarket auto parts online warehouses are not allowed to ship 49 state
cat convertors to California addresses.

So if his cat is plugged, his only choice is either the OEM convertor (as the
mechanic says) or an approved CARB aftermarket CC.
Anything else installed will not pass the e-test and it would be a big waste of
money, because he would have to do it all over again with the approved
cat converter and that would triple his repair costs.

Like I mentioned before, he is going to have to bite the bullet and install CARB (California Air Resources Board) regulated CC if he wants to have it back on the road in California..or sell it outside the state to somebody in the other 49 states who can do the repairs with Federal emissions standards catalytics.
Caverman, on my first post I didn't notice that this was a California truck, but after you pointed that out, I did a quick search for CARB approved cats that the truck needs (as well as a lot of other do-dads that other states don't) and that link I provided in my second post does contain California approved cats - unfortunately the one in the list is for a 2wd only. There are other suppliers that carry CARB approved cats for both versions of this truck (2 & 4wd) and do ship to California - like like this one (all the cats with a red flag are California legal - you need to plug your vehicle parameters in to get a list of available assemblies). I agree that he shouldn't try to mix things up as that could lead to a much higher cost. I would have a look at what the local auto salvage yards have (you may have noticed that I'm a fan of "get your own stuff" at salvage yards :) ) - there should be quite a few wrecked Dakotas around that still have good cats & a battery powered sawz-all & angle grinder would get that assembly out in jig time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. New here, but I might be able to help shed a little light on the confusing state of CA

First of all, I usually check here...
http://www.californialegalconverters.com/store/index.php?route=information/catscatalog
It's a fairly good catalog, and they have a ton of info and links, selling both Catco and Magnaflow

An 02 V8 is not listed, so I looked at the other links you guys posted. None of them list a Cal approved cat either, so no go. (They list Cal emissions, but this is not the same)

The difinitive place to look for legal cats for CA is here, right from the state itself.
https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx
Again, nothing for a V8

While there are definately manufacturers that make California emissions, these aren't legal in CA (Cal emissions are sold all over the country). The state hasn't approved anyone yet for aftermarket (if they haven't by now, they probably won't). Simple crappy fact is, if you try to pass SMOG and the inspector is legit, you're going to fail if the cat isn't legal. CA approved cats are stamped, it's easy to see, and they are supposed to look for it.

Unfortunately, used CA cats (like an OE one from the junkyard) are also not legal since 2008. That said, this one you might be able to get away with. It is stamped properly. And it is a somewhat fairly cheap option to try, especially if you can do the work yourself. Wild guess...if the inspector gave you crap about this one, a $20 bill might do the trick, or might be something I'd try. The fact that it is stamped is what is important. He could always say he didn't notice that it wasn't OE.

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts