Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an old fart that likes hot rods but cant afford the 3.40 a gal gas in my everyday driver.
I have join here to see if i can get some help or advice and to see if any of my experiences from the past can help you as well.
I am not up on mods for alot of these FI and computer setups.
Give me a carb engine and i can give a 350 hp 4cyl.....lol ( or close to it anyways.)

What i am diving into tho is one of my daily drivers was a 1990 dakota 2.5 with a 5 speed,a/c. ran great until early last year. First the cam snapped.then compression dropped in 1 and 4 to almost50 psi

So i decided to bump up to a v6 ( we have alot of hills here)and i have a 3.9 believed to be out of a 95 dakota with an auto.
I am looking at putting it in with a 5 speed behind.

What kind of experience do i have at engine swaps? Anyone living in Pheonix AZ. that has seen a bright yellow 74 pinto runabout can tell you.
(whispering) It has a 460 4bbl under the hood and it looks bone stock on the outside except for the 2, 2.5 exhaust tips under the rear bumper......hehe

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am an old fart that likes hot rods but cant afford the 3.40 a gal gas in my everyday driver.
I have join here to see if i can get some help or advice and to see if any of my experiences from the past can help you as well.
I am not up on mods for alot of these FI and computer setups.
Give me a carb engine and i can give a 350 hp 4cyl.....lol ( or close to it anyways.)

What i am diving into tho is one of my daily drivers was a 1990 dakota 2.5 with a 5 speed,a/c. ran great until early last year. First the cam snapped.then compression dropped in 1 and 4 to almost50 psi

So i decided to bump up to a v6 ( we have alot of hills here)and i have a 3.9 believed to be out of a 95 dakota with an auto.
I am looking at putting it in with a 5 speed behind.

What kind of experience do i have at engine swaps? Anyone living in Pheonix AZ. that has seen a bright yellow 74 pinto runabout can tell you.
(whispering) It has a 460 4bbl under the hood and it looks bone stock on the outside except for the 2, 2.5 exhaust tips under the rear bumper......hehe

Hey there, Welcome from an "Older" Timer. Good to have you here. It takes all kinds of folks to give a forum a wide variety of experience, ideas and such. So you'll fit in quite well. I full well know what you mean about the gas situation. my MAIN ride is an '07 Charger R/T, but I am building a 440 Dakota, with a 727 behind it. No, it won't get the best MPG, but it I can, I hope to come up with the money to get either an overdrive unit to add or a fairly decent deal on an A518 Mopar overdrive Automatic trans.

Myself, I'd like to hear more about what you've got going on AND what you've done. ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Dakota Z, glad to have you aboard! Nice intro, definitely sounds like you know your way around an engine! Like Bill, I'd like to hear more about what you're working on! Any pics you can share? Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!!!

Old fart??? im 44, when does the "old" part kick in? LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!!!

Old fart??? im 44, when does the "old" part kick in? LOL
My stepdaughter keeps saying I am old, so i told her when she can beat me in a race she can call me old. She is 27 heavyset and drives a KIA RIO.....lol
So i guess when she beats me i will be old...lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome to the Dakota Z, glad to have you aboard! Nice intro, definitely sounds like you know your way around an engine! Like Bill, I'd like to hear more about what you're working on! Any pics you can share? Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun
i have several projects i am working on but the dakota is the one pertaining to this site. I want to put a 95 3.9L in it fuel injection with a boost. maybe a performance computer,cam, larger injectors,maybe head work.
I am open to ideas.
I want a streetable with ok to decent mileage and enough "GO" power to raise an eyebrow on these younguns that want to mess with the ole man.
BTW paint scheme -think "Rumble Bee" with the name "Wanna Bee"
Yellow with black stripe and that lil bee on wheels....hehe
I want dual exhaust with flowmasters.
I want to roast the tires 1st,2nd,3rd with a/c(old remember...lol)
lower the stance about 2" in frt and 1.5" in rear. Run 60's all around.

and still get 30 mpg!.....rotflmao

You get the picture right?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
sounds like you have some good plans!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts