Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
needing new front brakes (prob rear drums also) and i have used ceramic on my neon but wanted to know what others think. which brake pads would you use on a 5.9 R/T that is used as a daily driver? most of my driving is on the highway and i want to reduce brake dust but i also want the best stopping power. is there a happy medium?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ceramic is the way to go for minimizing dust and best stopping power. If you really want to maximize your stopping power, you should consider adding slotted/drilled rotors and braided steel flexible break lines to the front and rear.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do i gain with the braided steel break lines? higher pressure, less likely to break?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Increased strength and reduced swelling of the lines while under pressure which will improve pedal feel and reduce the stopping distance by increasing pressure to the caliper.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is changing out the brake lines something i can do myself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Randy. Ceramic reduces dust but (good) semi-metallic pads stop better. The metallic "wicks" away the generated heat. Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too when deciding between dust and performance. Go with the performance and toss a pail of water on your wheels a little more often to remove most of the dust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got an 03 Quad Cab SLT and I'm looking to replace both front and rear pads as well. It's a daily driver but I also take it off-road like once a week. Would the ceramic pads be the best option and would the braided lines be a good thing as well?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've got an 03 Quad Cab SLT and I'm looking to replace both front and rear pads as well. It's a daily driver but I also take it off-road like once a week. Would the ceramic pads be the best option and would the braided lines be a good thing as well?
Ceramic pads minimize dust, but they would wear down the stock crap rotors
and the rotors may even warp due to the heat generated. The other thing is
that the stock crap calipers won't develop any more pressure on the ceramic
pads, so your stopping power may be affected under certain conditions.

If you want the dustless option you may want to shell out a considerable
amount of pocket change on your daily driver...

1. Performance aftermarket slotted after market rotors.
(Other wise the stock iron rotors will overheat an warp miore due to the
heat developed from the ceramic pads).
2. Better aftermarket calipers than the stock crappy ones that seem to
seize up more often due the heat.
3. Better rubber brake lines, maybe the braided ones as someone suggested
4. Replace the steel brake lines if the oems are several years old to avoid
line blowouts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts