Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m gonna rebuild the front end on my 91 RWD 5.2 and have all of the parts I need except for the coil spring isolators. I can get sets that will lift it 2 or more inches but nothing that keeps the front at stock height. Does anybody know where I can obtain these. Thank you in advance for any help with my problem I’m facing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got mine from RockAuto. I rebuilt my entire front end. (95 2wd V8) They are stock replacements.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Alas, RockAuto shows "Out Of Stock", as does almost everyone else.

ShockWarehouse has shown stuff in stock that's not actually there before, but at least they don't keep your money - it may be worth calling and seeing if they have the Moog parts.

Moog K160038 Front Upper Coil Spring Insulator - Shockwarehouse.com

My best suggestion is to carefully measure the pocket, and see if there's a universal one from someone like Prothane or Energy Suspension.

I was lucky, they had them still when I did my total overhaul, so I ordered the Delphi ones.

RwP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only ones they list are out of stock. But I did hit the button to let me know if or when they get some more.
I may end up getting some universal ones from Energy Suspension. I just have to fill out the form they have on their site.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
If they DO have some that will fit - be sure to recommend to them to add them to the catalog!

It would keep others from having to fight the good fight, and as these trucks are aging, this will become more and more important.

(I supposed the garden hose variant would do the job, and MAY be easier to get up in there ... that was just about the hardest part of rebuilding the suspension to me! Keeping it up in there while I slipped the spring up into the same pocket. My solution was some weatherstrip adhesive, hold it in place until it set, and then put the spring in ... This may bite my ass next time.)

RwP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hit the "Notify me" button on the Rock Auto site. Sometimes they get them back in stock quicker than you would think. It can't hurt while you look elsewhere, & it won't cost you anything. These trucks are getting harder to get parts for, especially 1st gens, so get spare parts if you can afford it & keep old savable parts when you can. I do. P.S. I taped my spring isolators to my springs with electrical tape to keep them in place when I installed them, & just left the tape there when I was done. No one but you will know it's there, & makes installing them so much easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll be taking the truck to a friends place to do everything I’ve been planning. As soon as I can get one of the isolators out I’ll hitting Energy Suspensions site where they have a chart to figure out which universal isolators will fit.
When I was on ebay I clicked on a set from energy, then I asked a question and they messaged me back with a link to their own site with that chart for the universals. I’d add the link but I’m not very tech savvy, but it’s EnergySuspension.com
Once I order them I’ll post which ones I’m getting here.
The FSM also says to use tape to on them too.
Once again IAMTK, and Ralph P , thank you both for all of the input you guys have given & in about 2 weeks I’ll update giving the part number along with how well the fit is

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't forget to lube up the top & bottom of the isolators if they are urethane. White grease is good, just in case they squeak a little, & it's also important to tighten ALL the suspension hardware with the weight of the vehicle on everything, also so they don't bind or make noise. I learned that the hard way YEARS ago. Good luck. P.S. The upper control arm bushings are kind of a PITA to do with the alignment rods that go through them. I got 2 complete new uppers from MOOG, bushing, rods & ball joints installed for less than $85 each. It may be worth doing to save you the aggravation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget to lube up the top & bottom of the isolators if they are urethane. White grease is good, just in case they squeak a little, & it's also important to tighten ALL the suspension hardware with the weight of the vehicle on everything, also so they don't bind or make noise. I learned that the hard way YEARS ago. Good luck. P.S. The upper control arm bushings are kind of a PITA to do with the alignment rods that go through them. I got 2 complete new uppers from MOOG, bushing, rods & ball joints installed for less than $85 each. It may be worth doing to save you the aggravation.
I wouldn’t have thought of those things ( white grease, or tighting once under load) . I did look at the upper control arms but since I did get about the last Prothane kit available decided against going that route. But will keep that in mind in case of the bushings being more stubborn than I am. Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
What ever you decide, it will be worth it. Not too many left on the road anymore, but I love mine. I wish I kept my other two! Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts