Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I buy a new computer from Rock Auto is it a matter of "plug and play"? Is there some procedure I need to follow after install like using a gazillion dollar tool only the dealer has?

Is there a way for a home mechanic to test a computer? Bench test?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
For a Gen1, yep, plug and play as long as it's the proper one (2.5/3.9/5.2, federal/california, auto/manual, and if there's a difference 2WD/4WD).

If your truck is a 1996, it's even better - you can get the new ECU tuned for optimum performance!

As to "How to test", depends on what you're looking for - most subfunctions can be somewhat tested, but it's truly a "black box" without some pretty darn fancy test equipment.

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a Gen1, yep, plug and play as long as it's the proper one (2.5/3.9/5.2, federal/california, auto/manual, and if there's a difference 2WD/4WD).

If your truck is a 1996, it's even better - you can get the new ECU tuned for optimum performance!

As to "How to test", depends on what you're looking for - most subfunctions can be somewhat tested, but it's truly a "black box" without some pretty darn fancy test equipment.

RwP
Again, good info! Thanks buddy. You're my new best friend. LOL!
I've had these Daks for years and never had any serious issues other than tune-ups, shocks, a water pump, sensors, etc. My 1st "stump the chump" moment.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'd be testing all the power to the ECU first; a bad ground or a bad power line, and the ECU will appear to be dead.

RwP

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had good luck sending my PCM to SIA electronics in Tilden Illinois. For (I think it was) $116 they bench checked it, replaced the coil transistor & resoldered a pin, & sent it back with what they claim is a life time warranty on their work. My trouble shooting prior to sending them my ECM included checking for voltage (& not finding any) from the trigger lead TO my coil. It's been working fine ever since. I do not know what their charge for bench checking & finding no faults is (I think it is listed on their site). Also, their turn time was not as quick as they listed on their site, I think it took a bit over a week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had good luck sending my PCM to SIA electronics in Tilden Illinois. For (I think it was) $116 they bench checked it, replaced the coil transistor & resoldered a pin, & sent it back with what they claim is a life time warranty on their work. My trouble shooting prior to sending them my ECM included checking for voltage (& not finding any) from the trigger lead TO my coil. It's been working fine ever since. I do not know what their charge for bench checking & finding no faults is (I think it is listed on their site). Also, their turn time was not as quick as they listed on their site, I think it took a bit over a week.
I had forgotten about SIA. I knew of them and talked with them once. Had smoke coming out of my PCM while attempting to diagnose. I figure it is toast now. Think they can help me? A new one from Cardone can be had for $134.00 at Rock Auto.

If you like, read my thread about this: "93 3.9 Dak won't start".

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had forgotten about SIA. I knew of them and talked with them once. Had smoke coming out of my PCM while attempting to diagnose. I figure it is toast now. Think they can help me? A new one from Cardone can be had for $134.00 at Rock Auto.

If you like, read my thread about this: "93 3.9 Dak won't start".

I don't know what they can repair & what they can't; I think I remember reading their their charge for bench checking & mailing back if unable to repair being fairly reasonable, though.

At the time my PCM took a crap on me, Rock was showing out of stock. I am thinking that the one you found listed on Rock is "refurbished"? I'll be honest with you & say that I make no claims to know a whole lot about this subject. When I was troubleshooting my no-start condition, I remember getting the impression (from You Tube & I think from this site) that people weren't feeling extremely confident with "refurbished" computers. I remember reading a post in which (& I paraphrase) that the member wrote that he never had much longevity from refurbs, & he thought that these computers were just being bench tested & if & when they bench tested good, were being sent out. (Begging the question: what happens when they don't bench test good?) Anyway, the poster said that he had better luck with PCMs that came from salvage yards. I cannot vouch to the accuracy of his statement, but it did make me somewhat leery of buying a refurb.

Do you have a link for your thread?

Hey, good luck on this!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cardone's are "re-manufactured". Is that the same as refurbished? Thanks for your input.

https://www.dakotaforumz.com/showthread.php?t=11439

Yes, remanned was what I meant. The discussion I was referring to indicated that the poster felt that the re-manufacturers were not really doing anything in the way of actually re-manufacturing, & this poster indicated that he had had bad luck with the remans he had used.

I personally don't have any knowledge to dispute that or support that.

Oh, & thanks for that link referring to the 115 splice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened my PCM and saw a capacitor had burned up, accounting for the smoke I saw. Sent it to SIA for repair, thanks to immattj for reminding me about them. We'll see what happens when I get it back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SIA wouldn't repair---too much damage. I bought a reman from Cardone. Runs now but check Engine light came on and had a couple codes. I wiggled the connector to the PCM and the light went out. Go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts