Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

new to the forum and in need of some help! My Dakota is running like a champ, recently got it tuned up, but for some reason, I have aN annoying chime that goes on once every second (like your seatbelt is off) while in drive or reverse. I’ve looked up the Manual and have some speculations but alas I am in confusion as to what it may be. No lights on the dash, everything checked out (as in lights, and services). I have a video I just don’t know where to post.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You didn't state what year your Dakota is, so it's kind of hard to provide any specific guidance. In my FSM for the 2003 Dakota, the chime is controlled by the Central Timer Module (CTM), and has a number of hard-wired inputs in addition to inputs from the PCI bus. But there is no chime condition triggered by the gear range of the transmission or by vehicle speed. Let us know what year your Dakota is, and we may be able to provide better guidance for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So yours is very much like mine. According to the FSM, there is nothing that should activate the chime based on gear selection. As far as the CTM, the only associated feature controlled by the CTM would be the automatic door locks, which are activated when the CTM receives a vehicle speed signal through the PCI bus. But that should not set off a chime.

A few years back, I had an issue that I isolated to the CTM; all lights going off intermittently -- kind of scary at night -- then coming back on a couple of seconds later. I did the diagnostics specified in the FSM for the CTM and nothing definitive showed up. Having little to lose (except the cost), I found a used CTM on eBay and installed it. Solved the problem! Haven't had any recurrences.

There are still plenty of listings for CTMs on eBay, running from about $70 to $120 or more. The unit is located behind the kick panel to the left of the driver's feet, and is very easy to change. My Dakota is a base model, so the CTM required no programming. I'm not sure if the high end models (like the SLT with the added features) require reprogramming or not.

If you're looking on eBay, try to find a unit that has exactly the same part number as yours, excepting the two letters at the end of the part number, like AE, AF, etc. There are many listings, with a variety of part numbers, that claim to be compatible, but I was able to find one with exactly my part number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thank you very much! I will look into that! It’s essentially just been sitting in the driveway since I work from home at the moment, before this truck was mine there needed to be a change with the Engine computer module. I remember trying to open the truck with the fob and the lights would flicker, alarm go off and wipers would initiate. Since then it’s been replaced.

Not saying that has anything to do with what you mentioned but it wouldn’t surprise me if what you said could be the issue. Can’t thank you enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take the battery out of your key fob and drive the truck to see if your get the chime. If so fasten all of the seat belts and see if the chime disappears. If so unfasten one belt at a time to see if the condition returns.
The condition could be something as simple as a ground issue, bad connection, bad sensor, or others. Check the simple things first. Replacing the module under the drivers kick panel is a good idea. You need a spare since they are getting hard to find new. Even if it doesn’t solve the problem you will have a spare for future use if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I did try the seat belt fastenings and other trouble shootings and checked out the sensors, not the key fob though, I’ll try that but everything else checks out. The truck has just been sitting there and I turn it on a few times a week and go around the block on my lunch break (currently working from home). So this was just random that it started happening and also annoying haha. Yeah and the MPN# that I have on my Dakota was like finding a needle in a hay stack (for me at least). It is 56045452AK and apparently is amongst the very few to be found. But I got it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aright! So I got the new - used CTM and the chime is gone! Drove around for a bit to make sure and worked like a charm! Only issue now, is I have to reprogram my key fobs, and not like how you’ll find on you tube. Apparently I need to go to either a dodge dealership or find an alarm person to actually program the key fobs like new. Or I may buy new ones 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Also, I had evap issues that kept popping my check engine light on and off, checked the hoses - no cracks (even the tips when you slide them into the valves) no under voltage. So I Replaced the. Canister purge valve next to the battery and that helped as well.

thnks!

Ev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts