Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I checked through this forum and didnt find this specific issue but here goes.

2002 dakota 4x4 4.7L. Trans 45RFE
Codes. P0740
New solenoid pack
260,000 odo

So i installed a reman tc...i did NOT get measurements from the flexplate. or housing distance to converter. Rookie mistake. With the trans installed The spacing between the bolt face of the converter to the flexplate hole is about an 1/8" tho. And if im pushing converter back into the trans spacing is about another 1/8. The converter clicked in twice upon install. Never noticted the third click. Did it twice and was set back visually like the old one and spun fairly free and so i proceeded.

Spinning converter putting on the 4 bolts and starts to get weird on the third converter bolt tighting down by hand it begins to bind very little and the fourth one stays equally tight on the bind as its a struggle to turn the crank. Trans was set in "park" prior to removing everything.. so I loosened the 4 converter bolts and converter dropped back in like normal and again on tightining the remaining 2 gets tight. (Proceeded) attached the starter. Started the 4.7 and of course no power out the trans in any gear. But. Engaging on every gear the rpm's do go up as if the motors on load of something working. But def not enough pressure to move the wheels . So dissambling again. And when removing the first flex bolt it was tight coming out and stripped. It did run on idle for..3 mins or so realising i did somthing really wrong..but now. Will i be facing a pump replacement as well? There was no crushing that i noticed/ whinning/whirring any thing. No trans fluid spill, I did put a quart in the converter. I want to believe its a wrong size converter that pulled itself off the pump seal. But i know its gonna me to blame :cry:. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well heres an obvious issue. Reman didnt offer or come with an o-ring, you would think theyd mention it like they always try and sell caliper lube for a brake job. Whatever..got one coming..converter was seated properly also. Will post update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its all working. Going thro drive cycles to see if p0740 comes back. Same transmission replaced converter. Changed tcc springs in the pump (they were not broken) . Solenoid pack. Piston Seals in the valve body. New filters. Torqed all internal trans bolts to specs. Mopar atf4. So far feelin pretty good. 😁

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well heres an obvious issue. Reman didnt offer or come with an o-ring, you would think theyd mention it like they always try and sell caliper lube for a brake job. Whatever..got one coming..converter was seated properly also. Will post update.
This missing o-ring was the cause of it binding and moving too far forward when screwing to place. Threads are 5/16-24 in case anyone will have to rethread some holes or fix some screws. I ended getting arp ones. But was using some grade 8's at the start of it all...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its all working. Going thro drive cycles to see if p0740 comes back. Same transmission replaced converter. Changed tcc springs in the pump (they were not broken) . Solenoid pack. Piston Seals in the valve body. New filters. Torqed all internal trans bolts to specs. Mopar atf4. So far feelin pretty good. 😁
Problem fixed. Passed emissions code has not returned. Shifting great too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts