Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the best place to get advice on this topic as only a few convertible Dakota's out there (<4k from what i've been able to find out) but I am looking to bring back the white convertible top to as close to new condition as I can once I get it back to Texas.

It is in pretty good condition now, but has lacked TLC for a while. The rear 'window' in it is the most obvious issue, someone told me to try the headlight cleaner stuff on it but not sure if that is best solution. The top itself is in extremely serviceable condition from what I saw of it last month, but want to get it clean and bright and keep it that way going forward.

I will post some pics of any problem areas when I get back with it later this month but am hoping that some of y'all have had some experience with Convertible top maintenance even if not on your Dakota. Anyone else who does have convertible Dakota and can give me Dakota specific info would be awesome.

thanks in advance for any tips or links y'all can provide.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If I can remember, here are a few things never to use on your top...Bleach, ammonia, alchohol or vinegar. There are several specialized cleaners out there for convertible tops such as Wolfsteins Ragg Topp Cleaner. For the back window keep scratches at bay and only us a microfiber towel and to polish it Meguiars makes (Plastic-X)Plastic polish which is good stuff. Use a shammy to blot up water on your top and never use a terrycloth towel or a lambswool mitt to clean as they will leave lint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info James! I've been doing a little research online as well as managing to pick up a Haynes Detailing manual at used book store today that has some info on convertible tops.

Saw that you got rid of your '87 this weekend, just when I managed to find the '87 Chrysler Motors Dakota service manual at same store I found the Haynes detailing manual in, hope you turned the purchaser onto this forum so he can keep the Gen 1 running right.

See ya round the forum and will post up some more pics of the '90 once I get it back home and prettied up

·
Registered
486 Posts
I miss the truck a lot already and i did tell the new owner about this place. Good luck to you, sounds like you got a great truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts