Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the other day I noticed that the coolant was low so I added more. 93 Dakota V6 le. Yesterday I got home after driving the truck and saw a stream of antifreeze leaking and dripping off of the oil pan. I don't see any bad hoses and the radiator seems to be full. Eventually it stops leaking but When I take the radiator cap off I can hear a gargle and the the leaking starts again for about two minutes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's dripping from the oil pan because that is the lowest point on the engine. Take a strong light and look up and see if you can trace where the coolant is coming from. If it's been leaking, even a small leak, for a while, there will usually be a 'clean' trail where the water is running down. Most likely suspects are the water pump (check the weep hole below where the drive pulley enters the water pump) and freeze plugs/core plugs along the lower sides of the engine block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so that wasn't it.. I changed the thermostat and housing, the water pump and put it all back together .. still leaking... so now I have taking it all back off plus the timing chain cover ... once I took the alternator and ac compressor off it looked like it was coming from the timing chain cover... the timing chain had about 1" slack in it with no tensioner.. so I have purchased a new chain, gears and tensioner...

new question is ... lately my truck has lost a lot of power.. I thought it was because I put a lift on it and bumped it up to 33x12.50s... but when I saw the slack on my timing chain I started researching.. Im starting to think that my timing chain jumped 3 teeth... the notches on the timing chain gears don't line up by 3 teeth... i don't really have any tools or know how to correctly time it... the new gears I got have circle notches on them and the diagrams that I see show the circle notches lining up ...

question is.... what procedure do I do to get these notches to line up correctly...

·
Registered
94 Posts
You just get it to where the notches are pointing at eachother, and locate the number 1 cylinder. Make sure the piston is as far up the hole as possible. You could do this by inserting a thick long wire in the spark plug hole. Look for its highest peak, just before it starts going down. Then make sure both intake and exhaust valves are closed for that cylinder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Forget what I said in the last post. Take the chain off, line the old marks up, then take the gears off, have the marked ends lined up when you put it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts