Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 99 5.2 4x4 that had been sitting two years. Completed oil and filter change, air filter swap, and added Lucas to the transmission to try to quick fix known transmission problems. After a test drive 3 miles to a local gas station with slippage, belt noise, high oil pressure and high temps, I noticed a decent pool of antifreeze. Back home, I let it sit, then idle it in place. No leak, no high pressure or temp. Am a novice mechanic and do not want to spend too much before figuring out the transmission.

Is it worth a water pump and thermostat swap. Wou!d allow me to check the hoses as well.

Also if anyone has words of wisdom regarding a malfunctioning 44re I would be appreciative!

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
From Rockauto you are looking at about $40 for the pump
just a few bucks for the 'stat
anywhere from around $35 to $65 for the fan clutch (because you will want to change that also)
and I'd change ALL the hoses (you can find those in this section from Rock as well) and definitely change the bypass hose for about $5 because it is a bitch to get to with everything put together & therefore sadly neglected
and a s-belt from between around $12 to $50
and replace the rad cap for a few bucks
+ tax & shipping & coolant.

So from Rock
(and I didn't price out your upper & lower rad hoses & heater hoses) I bet depending upon which brands you ordered, I bet you could get it done for $200 or less (but I didn't really do the math).

So how bad is the tranny?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Here's your rad hoses
maybe around $40 for both?
and if you do a little looking back there in the water pump section, there is actually a kit with both the pump & fan clutch together. I didn't price it out to see which way would be more economical. When you order parts from Rock, you can save on shipping if you get stuff from the same warehouse. There's a little symbol of a truck on the parts after you put the first one in your cart, & when you see that symbol it means the parts are coming from the same warehouse.

And to be clear: I have no affiliation with Rock, except as a customer who is (usually) satisfied with their service.

But what is the tranny doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
Tranny slipped horribly on the test drive. Could get to second, but when it tried to shift up to third the rpm would start rising and falling with no throttle input, but never catch a gear. Could not make it up medium incline drive without 4 wheel drive. Smoke coming up past dipstick when I popped the hood.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Wow.
Without looking it up, isn't the 44re the tranny that is completely computer controlled and has no adjustable bands?
I do have a FSM for a '03 and if you want me to, I can look in the 44re section & see what it says about the major slippage you listed, but from what you have typed, it sounds as iff it is shot.

I have never worked on a transmission, besides preventive maintenance and minor stuff, and as much as I like turning my own wrenches, I don't think I would try to do clutches the first time without help from some one who knew what they were doing.

I've seen people talking about rebuilds on this site for in the neighborhood of $2k, and others have talked about buying crate trannys. I suppose you could start calling salvage yards to see what is available, but gone are the days you could go to a junk yard & buy a tranny for $100.

What is the rest of the truck like? Body & frame rust? How many miles?
From what you've typed, I wouldn't see the point in doing much of anything to it until you get a tranny that doesn't act like it's going to leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other than that truck is good. Dodge paint peeling. 103 thousand, clean interior. Has some towing package to make the rear stiffer. Thanks for the advice! Kinda though that was what I would have to do. Now to see how long of a wait to get into a shop.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Well, don't take what I said 'I think' to be any kind of gospel; but it does sound like the tranny is going south, to me. Always worth a good knowledgeable second opinion, but I don't know where to tell you to go that who ever gave it to you wouldn't have the ulterior motive of wanting to rebuild it for you.

At 103k with a good frame and body and if it has a good engine, I think it might be worth paying someone for a rebuild if that's what it turns out to be. I guess that the question is do you think you could get something equal or better for what it would cost to get the tranny done.

Anyway, good luck on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts