Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about two weeks ago my radiator started to leak so I put radiator stop leak in and changed the thermostat. A week later my radiator exploded. So I replace the radiator and I replaced the temperature coolant sensor and flushed out the old fluid and put new coolant in. However my temperature gauge goes up fast and is very close to the hot mark. Whats making it over heat and what can I do to make the temperature normal again so i don't end up blowing another radiator? if you can help i would really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
ive heard of a lot of heating core issues with the earlier models, but i'm not sure if that would affect engine temps

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I would check to see if your heater core is stopped up. That would affect the flow of coolant.

You might also have air in your cooling system. I'm not sure if that is a problem for your model, but lots of folks with newer Chargers have that issue and it exhibits symptoms similar to what you describe.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive replaced the thermostat twice thinking the first one was defective but it still reads hotter then it should.

·
Registered
115 Posts
96 had the rad cap not the cap on the line correct?
if so try and burp the system by leaving the cap off and starting the truck and that should alow the air, if any, to circulate into the radiator then top off as needed...
heater core should only effect the flow through it and thats it. it shouldnt effect anything else if its cloged then it wont put heat into the cab or wont allow much heat sence theres no hot coolant flowing through it...
that being said and granted you have no air in the system and your Tstat is good and you have a new temp sending unit like you said, i dont belive there is to (there is on my 97 5.9 ram and one talks to the PCM the other talks to the guage and was hidden under a line)... sounds like a possible bad water pump or something is clogged not allowing coolant to circulate between the radiator and engine and back

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive burped it twice doing it for about 20 min each time, but it still seems to be running hotter then it should, is there anything else I could check or try?

·
Registered
115 Posts
do you have a pic of where its running it could be running normal but just look high for you... you probly put in a 195deg Tstat didnt you... you could try putting in a 180deg...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my thermostat on my 96 and low and behold, they sold me the wrong one so I had the same issue. When I went back they let me swap out for one with a lower temperature setting which fixed my issue. Now it runs cooler than it used to which means that my radiator is working harder now, so I just change my fluid more often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts