Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I have a 2006 Dakota 4x4 .... A local mechanic did a minor repair replacing a sensor and now the cruise will not disengage when you hit the brakes. I am wondering how many computer modules I have under the hood and which one controls the cruise? What are they each called.
Thanks Jerry
PS I took it back and they did replace the brake switch w no benefit

·
Registered
506 Posts
The powertrain control module (PCM) is the only module that works with the speed control system. It knows what speed you select and uses solenoids in the speed control servo to maintain that speed. The brake switch is the only component other than the switches on the steering wheel in the circuit for the speed control system. So if the set speed is not being canceled by the brakes, check to see if you can increase or decrease the set speed using the Accel or Coast switches, and if the speed control disengages with the Cancel switch. If you can't change or cancel the set speed, you have one or more bad solenoids in the servo, or you have a wiring problem between the servo and the ECM. You didn't say which sensor was replaced, but if it was anywhere near the speed control servo, it's possible some wiring may have been disturbed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ambient air temperature sensor. also, just figured out that I don't have brake lights either. checked the fuses and they are ok.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It sure sounds like the brake lamp switch is not functioning properly, it's easy to do the install incorrectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts