Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having intermittent loss of cruise control over the last month( would shut off with out touching control) and now it won't come on at all. Can't seem to find a fuse for it in fuse box. Where or what could be done or checked to fix???

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
986 Posts
The speed control for your Dakota is governed directly and solely by the PCM -- there is no separate fuse for the system. The switches on your steering wheel communicate with the PCM via the clock spring and duplexed wires (all the signals go through one signal wire and one sensor ground wire). The PCM controls the selected speed using the throttle position actuator in your electronic throttle body.
If the system turns itself off, or does not turn on, it's either the PCM or the wires running from the switches to the PCM, through the clock spring in the steering wheel. I suspect the latter, but you would need to have someone with the appropriate equipment check for signals and switch function.
If you're going to work on the clock spring, please be sure to disconnect the battery, and wait for a time for the capacitors in the air bag system to discharge. You don't want the one in the steering wheel going off in your face!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t know how different the cruise control system is on a 2009 vs a 2004 (4.7 4x4), but I recently fixed my cruise control. The light would come on but it wouldn’t set. At least on mine the cruise control is operated via a vacuum operated solenoid. Turned out the vacuum line was broken (the hard plastic shattered). A couple bucks worth of vacuum line and 5 minutes later it was fixed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Best I can figure based on the parts offered by RockAuto regarding the throttle body, Dakotas switched in 2008 to electronically controlled throttle bodies -- no cables, therefore no vacuum actuator for the cruise control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001, 4.7 liter has same problem along with stereo doesn’t work. After some research I found the timer control module on the left kick panel at the drivers foot malfunctioning. As mine is a 2001 there are no factory parts made anymore.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Used Central Timer Modules (CTMs) are available on eBay. Make sure you get the exact same part number, except for the two letters at the end. I put a used one (from eBay) in my 2003 Dakota over 5 years ago, and haven't had a problem since. My issue was with the lights -- all the lights would go out for 2-3 seconds intermittently.

However, OP has a 2009 Dakota. CTM has been replaced by the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) since 2005.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts