Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, I know, it's a long title huh? Sorry bout that. I was just wondering if anyone HAD USED something like JB Weld to install mounts for anything (like maybe mounts for an overhead console)? JB's some good stuff and I'm not a very good welder AND I don't want to have to pay to have it done, IF I can do it successfully with something like JB Weld. Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I raced motorcycles a good amount of our fairings were held together by JB. You can also do a temp repair on engine cases if you"re out dirt biking. A friend and I fixed his running lights on his sailboat w/ JB. Too many uses to list.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I raced motorcycles a good amount of our fairings were held together by JB. You can also do a temp repair on engine cases if you"re out dirt biking. A friend and I fixed his running lights on his sailboat w/ JB. Too many uses to list.
I have used it myself, on some things, like I broke a corner off of the lower part of an AVS Carter Carb and put it back together with JB Weld. But I was thinking of putting in an upper console in my Dakota and using JB Weld to put mounts on the underside of the top of my truck, so I wouldn't have to have them welded on (I am not a very good welder). Sounds good. I just didn't want to take a chance of having the overhead console falling on my head or anything. :D Thanks for the input, Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it would hold. JB very strong and if I understand what you want to do then the only stress on the part would be gravity. There would be no bending or twisting stress. Only minor pulling stress. Try JB Welding two similar parts together and try to reproduce any force to which your console might be subjected.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would hold. JB very strong and if I understand what you want to do then the only stress on the part would be gravity. There would be no bending or twisting stress. Only minor pulling stress. Try JB Welding two similar parts together and try to reproduce any force to which your console might be subjected.

That sounds good, I'll try it. Yeah, an overhead console isn't going to be that heavy and won't have anything of real weight in it either. A properly cleaned surface and properly mixed should make a good attachment. I don't know how many mounting points there are, I haven't picked out a console yet and gotten it. I'm looking for one that will pretty much fit the roofline of the std cab Dakota and mainly be there to supply a few map lights and a little storage. Don't need the info system (MPG, Compass, etc). Also, I saw over on the Charger ForumZ where a member took the sunglass dropdown storage could be modded to put your GPS and I want to do that as well. Thanks for your input too. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts