Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here and need help with an old problem. My 03 Extra cab has started pulling badly to the right. I had the front end aligned and they told me the alignment was spot on when they finished it up. Tires are properly inflated etc. My question comes up now as a result of putting it in 4 wheel high and noticing the truck feeling very stiff at next to no speed and it wants to lurch and grab. Just did a brake rebuild rotors, calipers, pads and all associated parts , so i know it's not a stuck piston ... Could this be in the CV joints ... HELP !!!

THX

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
welcome! im sure someone will be by soon that can lead you in the right direction, not familiar with the 4x4s and not sure why it would do that

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm check the front diff and drive shaft assembly is all I can think of right now im sure someone else will have some ides but welcome the the Z someone here will have some more answers Im sure

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the input guys... 99.999% sure it's not tire related...I even went so far as to swap sides (a radial no no I know ) then put them back on rotated...had em spin balanced... no good ...this is why i was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar prob that was traced back to transfer/diff area.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's nothing wrong with swapping sides with radial tires. Anyway, are you thinking maybe your transfer case is staying engaged?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always heard never to crisscross radials like you used to do with bias ply tires...anyway, If its in 2x4 at most any speed it pulls hard right. In 4x4 high it wants to lurch and grab and almost seems as if the brakes are on. Imagine pumping the brake while trying to roll forward but without actually applying any brake. I've owned a lot of 4x4s over the years and never have run across this before. TYhis ones new to me for sure ...hoping someone can shed some light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry I can't help ya but wanted to welcome you to the Dakota Z and hopefully you get your problem figured out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure it isn't a tire related problem? Try rotating the tires and see if it makes any difference.
Could be the transfer-case...any way you know of to fig this out w/out spending a fortune at the transmission shop ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
well,. I just did my front drive shaft, there was a whizzing/ grind sound underneath the gas pedal as the shaft's CV froze and the spline joint separated then started to polish itself,...lmao

maybe you can check this off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts