Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Dakota 2wd and I want to convert it to a 4x4 by what iv read it's borderline impossible to just simply convert it so my next thought is putting it on a 4x4 chassis but I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price for what I want but I found a 4x4 Durango for pretty cheap so my question is can I put my Dakota on the Durango chassis and if so how much work would I need to do and what all do I need to do? Any information on this is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 03 Dakota 2wd and I want to convert it to a 4x4 by what iv read it's borderline impossible to just simply convert it so my next thought is putting it on a 4x4 chassis but I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price for what I want but I found a 4x4 Durango for pretty cheap so my question is can I put my Dakota on the Durango chassis and if so how much work would I need to do and what all do I need to do? Any information on this is greatly appreciated
Well it's not borderline impossible, but it's not going to be fun. Heres the problem. Our 4x4 Dakotas aren't really that great. The suspension is limited, and the axles are small, and if you plan on any serious off roading, the Dakota isn't the best platform without serious mods.

Swapping a 4x4 Durango frame (Not an easy proposition) under your Dakota will get you 4wd, but you'll have a relatively weak system.

If you want to convert your truck to 4wd, the best option, if you go thru with it is do a solid axle swap, that way you get a much better and stronger axle.

Going back to the Durango frame….well it's too short and the body won't just bolt on without a ton of fabrication.

Conversions to 4wd tend to cost a lot to do. In the end you spend more to convert then to just sell the 2wd and buying a 4wd

There is yet another option. If the Durango is in good shape, why not sell the Dakota and drive the Durango instead?

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info and the Durango is in ruff shape the cab had a tree fall on it so it's pretty mangled but I have the Dakota with a low miles motor and it's a stick shift so I'd like to keep it and I'd like to keep the bed for my dogs (Great Danes slober a lot) the 4x4 conversion is just a thought for now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts