Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little new to Dodge, trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can. I'm 70 years
old and have never owned a automatic tranny ride. I use our Dakota 3.9 V6 to pull a 2000
trailer up and down I 95 at 70 plus MPH. I have already figured out 5 th gear won't do the job.
Fourth does fine and it knocks MPG back down to around town figures. While the gear
spacing is a little wide it's a fine tranny. I'd like to figure which tranny I have and what the
difference is. Steve

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It will depend on the year; but yes, you might want to look at swapping to a V8 for the increased torque.

Otherwise, you're just about right - stay out of OD, and while you're at it, keep under 70MPH with that trailer. Unless you want to discover what "tail wags the dog" means ...

RwP

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ralph, I realize V8 swap seems the answer to every question. I think I have a 3500
tranny. We agree the V6 won't pull 5 th and the trailer.

Little story, I built my single axle trailer in 3 days for $125. in materials in 1974. Designed and built to trailer
classic mini race cars. I had a race at Watkins Glenn and my friend decided not to lend me his trailer.
Great care was taken to balance the trailer with 60 lbs tongue. I know it sounds bad but we have
trailered at 100 mph with this trailer. No I don't do it any longer but I have a great trailer. Been to Denver,
Huston, Mid Ohio, the Glenn and all the south east tracks. I now deliver and pick up Classic Minis for
restoration. Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Steve, I had the same question when I replaced my clutch about six years ago. Because I had the time, I checked RockAuto, and they showed both were compatible. I ordered the 12 inch. When I pulled my pressure plate, found I had a 10 1/2 inch clutch (by my measurement), but the 12 inch clutch and pressure plate bolted right in. Fortunately, there was no wear on the flywheel, as the problem I was experiencing turned out to be the pilot bearing. The old clutch had a lot of wear left in it. New clutch is a little stiffer, but I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is good info, now I have to figure out the trade off. Smaller is lighter and helps spin up quicker. Larger, stores energy and helps getting things moving. My son and wife are of the clutch being a rheo-stat rather than on/off switch. With all the extra power I'm going to make 12 it is. Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts