Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

A few months, my '04 4x4 Dakota, then with 47,000 miles, emitted a whir-whir-whir-whir noise that sped up and slowed down directly with vehicle speed. It was eventually diagnosed as bad differential bearings, which were replaced.

I'm in and out of town a lot, so am not driving the truck regularly. It now has about 50,000 miles. Last week, on an 800-mile road trip, I noticed a new whine coming from the rear end, only present when decelerating without using the brakes. It does not whine when accelerating nor when maintaining a steady speed; only when decelerating, noticeable at speeds of 30 mph and higher. The pitch of the whine tracks the vehicle speed.

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer, but my trusted mechanic and I have a language-barrier problem, so I'd like to be as clear as I can when I go pay him a visit about this, if I even need to worry about it. So my questions are:

- Do I need to worry about this noise?
- Any cheap work-around solutions?
- If it's not good, is it gears, bearings or both?
- How long can I ignore it before getting into real trouble?
- To what extent can semi-warn gnarly terrain tires contribute to differential problems?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
242 Posts
problem is pinion bearing there is slack in the pinion gear. grab the drive shaft and shake it the pinion should not move!! this is very bad!! do not ignore this get it fixed very dangerous. the crush sleeve didn't get set right when the pinion was put back in.the nut will come off and the pinion will lock up with and destroy your diff. if this happens when you are truckin down the road the drive shaft will come out rear wheels will lock up and you will just be a passenger!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I took it to my mechanic without using your answer, and watched him go through the same steps you just described. Problem fixed, and no charge.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have the whinning noise noticable when going straight but when im making slow turns, it whines big time.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha can you elaborate about tightening the nut?

problem is pinion bearing there is slack in the pinion gear. grab the drive shaft and shake it the pinion should not move!! this is very bad!! do not ignore this get it fixed very dangerous. the crush sleeve didn't get set right when the pinion was put back in.the nut will come off and the pinion will lock up with and destroy your diff. if this happens when you are truckin down the road the drive shaft will come out rear wheels will lock up and you will just be a passenger!!

I am having the same problems and my axle is leaking and making noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a similar issue.

I've searched and searched the posts for a problem similar to mine but I had zero luck. My dad has a 2000 Dakota with a 4.7 and 4x4 and his rear end is humming around 45-65 mph and only when your pushing on the gas. It doesn't do it when its coasting or decelerating. I checked the rear end fluid and its full and a nice color. I pulled the drums off the rear wheels and they are in good condition and free. I did notice that there is rear end fluid splattered all over the bottom of his bed and on the inside part of his shock absorbers which indicates a shot pinion seal behind the driveshaft yoke. This also indicates a worn pinion bearing right? That little bit of play is throwing the yoke into the seal causing it to leak? But I put a bar on the yoke and checked for play on the driveshaft and everything and it all FELT tight. Also I pulled the brake drums off and checked the axles themselves for play. I can move the end of the axle up and down maybe a 16th of an inch and I can pull it in an out about an 8th of an inch. So could it be the pinion seal and need a pinion bearing and possibly a new unworn yoke or do you think it might need axle bearings? If so, what exactly is entailed with either of these tasks or both. Thanks so much in advance for the assistance. I'm just at a loss and need another expert opinion on the matter. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey I had a similar problem to the whine and the dealership said I had a limited slip differential and said I needed to go but some limited slip additive it's like $8 it prevents the clutches in the rear end from whining. Oh and I first used the separate additive and it worked great I had to drain and change an axle bearing and put the differential fluid that says it is for limited slip and it was ineffective so I would just go with the separate additive
put it in with your brew fluid and make a bunch of figure 8 turns to work it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rear wheel bearings

Can anybody help me find a DIY for doing my rear wheel bearings? I have a 1998 Dakota Sport 4x4 with a 5.2. For some reason I don't seem to be able to find any info on doing this repair anywhere. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts