Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got a 2004 dodge dakota with a (going) bad differential. Im wanting to just replacethe whole rear end but finding damn near anything for a 2004 dakota has proven quite hard. So my question is: is it possible that a ram 1500 rear end would match up with my dakota and which years would. Also, does a 2005 dakota rear end match up with a 2004. I know alot changed between those two years but i dont knlw if the drivetrain had or not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Technically, you could install any axle, if you're willing to make some changes or live with the differences. If you want to use an axle for a Ram, it will probably be slightly wider, and the tires will likely stick out of the fenders. And you'll have to carry two spares, since the Ram axle will use 5 lug rims, while your Dakota uses 6 lug rims. The Ram axle is not a bolt in and it might require altercations to such parts as the pinion yoke and brake lines, as well as possible modifications to the shock mounts.

To keep things simple, you'll need to find an axle out of another 4wd Dakota. Look for model years between 97-04, for a bolt in swap. You could also use the older 91-96 Dakota axles. Axles from 87 to 90 may physically fit and bolt in but those axles used 5 lugs. Axles from 2005 and up were also 5 lug and slightly wider. newer trucks will also have rear disc brakes. The discs can be a good upgrade, but the lug pattern will still be a problem.

The last options is to look for an axle out of 2wd Dakotas or 2wd & 4wd Durangos. These axles are basically the same, but with one significant difference. They have spring mounts that are under the axle. Your 4wd Dakota has spring mounts on top of the axle. To make a 2wd or 2/4wd Durango axle work, will require welding spring mounts to the top of the axle.

Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically, you could install any axle, if you're willing to make some changes or live with the differences. If you want to use an axle for a Ram, it will probably be slightly wider, and the tires will likely stick out of the fenders. And you'll have to carry two spares, since the Ram axle will use 5 lug rims, while your Dakota uses 6 lug rims. The Ram axle is not a bolt in and it might require altercations to such parts as the pinion yoke and brake lines, as well as possible modifications to the shock mounts.

To keep things simple, you'll need to find an axle out of another 4wd Dakota. Look for model years between 97-04, for a bolt in swap. You could also use the older 91-96 Dakota axles. Axles from 87 to 90 may physically fit and bolt in but those axles used 5 lugs. Axles from 2005 and up were also 5 lug and slightly wider. newer trucks will also have rear disc brakes. The discs can be a good upgrade, but the lug pattern will still be a problem.

The last options is to look for an axle out of 2wd Dakotas or 2wd & 4wd Durangos. These axles are basically the same, but with one significant difference. They have spring mounts that are under the axle. Your 4wd Dakota has spring mounts on top of the axle. To make a 2wd or 2/4wd Durango axle work, will require welding spring mounts to the top of the axle.

Ed
Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
581 Posts
From the 2003 parts manual (should be the same for 2004), these are the axles for 4wd Dakotas. The tag number on the rear end indicates gear ratio and anti-spin. Tag numbers are as follows:

8.25" differential
52070366AB - 3.92 gears
52070294AC - 3.92 gears with anti-spin
52069812AE - 3.55 gears
52070293AC - 3.55 gears with anti-spin

9.25" differential
52070376AB - 3.92 gears
52070297AC - 3.92 gears with anti-spin
52069975AB - 3.55 gears
52070297AC - 3.55 gears with anti-spin

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your build sheet shows a 9.25" rear axle with 3.55 gear ratio and antispin.

The 9.25" rear axle has an octagonal shaped rear cover with 12 bolts. The 8.25" rear axle has a round cover with 10 bolts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate everything guys. Just one more question. How do i translate the codes underneath each part description on the build sheet?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I appreciate everything guys. Just one more question. How do i translate the codes underneath each part description on the build sheet?
Umm ...

That's what the English text above (or below!) is.

For instance, there's a build tag on some Mopars - it has codes like ABCD, MJRP etc.

ABCD may be 60/40 Front Seat, MJRP may be Breathalyzer In Steering Wheel (to take made up options and codes; I don't know which is which!)

So it's not a big deal to decode those; you've got the decoded portion!

But.

If you must pry ("Oh, I must, I must!") then check the build code charts Googleable on the Internet.

RwP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rock Auto lists quite a few options for replacement axles on their website. I am not sure if their prices are a good deal or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts