Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have changed the exhaust on your Dakota, please provide as much detail as you can on it. That way we can have sort of a "ultimate" thread on exhaust upgrades.

Please try to post as much info as you can, including:

Year/Trim/Engine of truck
Type of Exhaust(i.e. True Dual, SI/DO Muffler, glass pack, etc...)
Style of Exhaust (i.e. Side Exit, rear exit, etc..)
Brand of Exhaust

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll Start:

Year/Trim/Engine of truck: 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L Magnum V6
Type of Exhaust: SI/DO muffler
Style of Exhaust: Rear exit
Brand of Exhaust: Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler/ Stock piping and Cats

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4.7 Magnum V8
Glasspack
Side exit
Thrush

work is finished. i found it was cheaper to just take in my old tailpipe and have the muffler shop mod it to work with my glasspack than to bend new pipe, so my exhaust shoots out the side.
the truck sounds MEAN, and with the K&N filter i dropped in recently i got a pretty noticeable boost in acceleration.

·
Registered
372 Posts
1991 Base 3.9
Single In/Single Out
Underneath the Bed Exit (unfinished and crappy)
Unknown Glasspack

Whole system is a work in progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2002 Dakota slt 4.7
True dual with thrush glasspacks, no cats
Side pipe exit
Trucks sounds very throaty/aggressive, little bit of cab drone but probably could be solved with exits being moved further from the cab. Removal of cats significantly reduced the popping on deceleration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A quick search turns up:
  • Poor fit
  • Cost adds up when configuring a system
  • Long delivery times
  • Terrible customer service
Not much positive about them at all.
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to just replace my damaged muffler with a universal Thrush brand muffler from Autozone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So lets see how many opinions we can generate on what everyone thinks the highest performance best resonating muffler is for a dakota. My neighbor has a stock car, he races it in the colorado hill climbs, and i shoot the races. he says i need a magnaflow, because of the back pressure and computer. that a flowmaster is too open so you lose power on the bottom end. flow masters sound awesome yes, but i am wondering if anyone has some solid info or tests. i had a glasspack on my 240sx and it sounded wicked and performed amazing. im torn as i have read alot about MBRP custom performance exhausts, and they look killer. after i decide on the exhaust, im getting a K&N custom Dakota cold air intake. i bought my truck for $600 dollars in florida beat up as hell but with only 70k on it. changed the alternator, starter, shocks , struts, battery and things here and there and water pump.. she maty have dents but im restoring her a bit at a time. if anyone knows how to get the most performance out of it let me know

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a magna flow muffler for my 99kota I just got last week putting on in the morning pretty excited to see how it sounds and if its a noticeable difference in acceleration

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 SXT/ sport base model
single in single out 3" flow master 40
the plan is to get a high flow cat. and some new headers, but can't find any that will fit. yes I could swap for a V8 but I like the 3.6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im running Ebay headers with 2.25 separate pipes replacing tbe stock Y.. a dual in/out flowmaster 50 replaces cat and stock muffler. A bung was installed to keep upstream O2 and fuel control

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need some input here. I am not a performance guy and don't know a hole lot about it. I have an 2006 Dakota SLT extended Cab(Club Cab) 4.7L. I am considering installing a system on my truck. My questions are
1: What do you Suggest?
2: What is the benefit other than sound and torque?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well to answer your first question im not much help as my set up is custom, hopefuly someone with more experience there can chime in, otherwise best bet is to find sound clips and see which you prefer. As for the benefits, sounds the biggest, and depending on the system an increase in power, along with possibly a slight increase in fuel economy, if you can keep from hitting the gas for more sound that is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question about dual exhaust on a 3.7 2004 Dakota would it be possible to bracket the back of the y pipe cut the collecter of the back add extensions to the y stagger the lengths to help the uneven length of the y put two glass packs on side by side which I think would be no bigger in diameter then the original muffler and dump the tail out the side or take them to the rear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts