Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad lets me drive his 2001 dodge dakota since I dont have my own car and I love the truck its just that I don't know what is wrong with the speakers. They work fine at a low volume but after you turn it up to a certain point it is nothing but static. I don't know if I should just replace the speakers and get a amp or if I should get a subwoofer.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Turn the volume down?

It will depend on what the "static" is. I'd suggest spending for new speakers and a quality head unit; but without a better definition of "static", no one can actually give a GOOD suggestion.

RwP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for help.

It sounds good if the volume is low but after I turn it up it is like a buzzing sound but with a little bit of background music.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'll bet the speakers are blown then. That sounds like the speaker cones buzzing due to the surround no longer surrounding the cones themselves.

For a can't-miss, check Crutchfield.COM and order from them. You'll pay "a little more", but they also have the mounting adapters and the wiring adapters that make it plug and play.

RwP

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Put the amp and subwoofers to the back burner.

Get the head unit working first in that sequence.

BEFORE you touch the head unit - and I know this isn't sexy or cool or sick or anything - make DAMN SURE THE BRAKES WORK!!

Be sure your brakes work.

Can I mention, you should be sure your brakes work? :)

After that, a good tuneup to get it running as good as it can (for a 5.9, that's cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, PCV valve - get OEM factory if possible, try to avoid Fram unless you like buying oil), PCV breather filter. Don't buy the hype - for a stock motor, there's no real difference from new copper and new E3/Bosch Plus 4 (NONE of those that swear by the E3 or Bosch Plus x plugs have compared new to new; they compare to the old worn out plugs. Crap, almost ANY plug would outdo some of those old plugs!!).

You want it running as good as you can before you head out on the roads much.

Right behind that - clean the headlight lenses. Or replace with factory (OEM) or factory style.

Put new bulbs in the headlights.

DO all that so that you can see at night.

THEN ... THEN ... Then you start doing the sexy sick neat cool schtuffs :) But keep it safe!

We can always replace a damaged truck. You, OTOH, are probably a bit harder to replace ... :)

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts