Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wanting to take the stock speakers out of the doors of my 1996 dodge dakota, and i would like to know if anyone has done it? And if they could give me a step by step guide as to how to remove the door panel without breaking anything. Especially the door handle plastic cover piece because I know how fragile those are. If someone could help me that would be awesome. Thanks :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey I'm wanting to take the stock speakers out of the doors of my 1996 dodge dakota, and i would like to know if anyone has done it? And if they could give me a step by step guide as to how to remove the door panel without breaking anything. Especially the door handle plastic cover piece because I know how fragile those are. If someone could help me that would be awesome. Thanks :)

Well, I've never done my '92 yet and I'm not sure if the service manual I have, has it in there. I can't seem to find my service manual. So, I'm not much help on this, yet! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL
REMOVAL
1.Release door latch and open door.
2.Roll window down.
3.Remove window crank Window Crank if equipped.
4.Remove screws attaching trim panel to door Door Trim Panel and Trim Panel Screw
CAUTION: Do not forcibly pull trim panel from door, damage to trim panel may occur.

5.Simultaneously lift upward and outward to release retainer steps from inner door panel Trim Panel Retainer
6.Disengage inside handle linkage rod from inside handle.
7.Disconnect speaker harness wire connector Speaker And Power Mirror Connector
8.Disengage power mirror wire connector, if equipped (driver's side only) Speaker And Power Mirror Connector
9.Disengage clips attaching power window/lock switch panel to door trim panel Power Window/Lock Switch Panel Disengage wire connectors from switch panel, if equipped.
10.Separate door trim panel from vehicle.
INSTALLATION
1.Position trim panel at door.
2.Engage wire connectors for window/lock switch panel, if equipped. Engage clips attaching power window/lock switch panel to door trim panel.
3.Engage power mirror wire connector, if equipped.
4.Connect speaker harness wire connector.
5.Engage inside handle linkage rod to inside handle.
6.Align trim panel retainer steps with inner door panel and slide trim panel into place.
7.Install screws attaching trim panel to door.
8.Install window crank, if equipped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, those were great instructions although I could have used pics. I got a bag of clips coming through an autoparts tomorrow morning (I hate those door panel clips for any car!).

>> How do you lower the panel so it fits on door so all (2) screws and panel clip holes line up. I know the rubber lip needs to be over the door edge next to the glass (but then it needs to lower by about 3/8"). Even with new clips, it should be lined down before the clips go in. Maybe I had my door lock up or something.

All I can think is there should be a mechanical interface where the rubber panel edge loops over the door edge between that and the window. I put duct tape around half the door edge holding up the plastic liner, because I wanted to inspect inside the door. So maybe the duct tape thickness prevents the panel from sliding down; and I need to razor trim the duct tape back on all edge interfaces.

>> Any leads on those plastic door handle covers? Ha Ha, get the crazy glue out.

THANKS!

·
Registered
830 Posts
FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL
REMOVAL
3.Remove window crank Window Crank if equipped.

I've removed mine a couple of times to change speakers and fix
the door lock when $%$%&* tried to break in with a jimmy bar
and didn't get far.

You also need as bent hook to pull the clip that holds the window
crank (if equipped with manual operators) behind the window regulator
handle. I made mine from a coat hook. Loop one end as the handle
and bend the other into a 90 degree hook and sharpen the end.

Then you put the hook between the door panel and the window regulator
and pull on the retainer clip to remove the window crank.

Install is the reverse, but the clip needs to be partiall in the groove of
the window crank, push on the crank and then use the tool to push the
retainer clip into place.

·
Registered
830 Posts
>> How do you lower the panel so it fits on door so all (2) screws and panel clip holes line up. I know the rubber lip needs to be over the door edge next to the glass (but then it needs to lower by about 3/8"). Even with new clips, it should be lined down before the clips go in. Maybe I had my door lock up or something.
There is a trick to it. You have to position the panel so the top part hooks
over the metal edge of the window, then "bang" it in so it goes down between the glass (which should be lowered all the way).
Once the hooke part is in all the way, bang in the nylon fastener clips
(which should be "threaded in" into the door panel beforehan), and
bang those in with your hand so that the nylon clips hold the panel
in,

Then you can assemble the door handle and window regulator crank,

All I can think is there should be a mechanical interface where the rubber panel edge loops over the door edge between that and the window. I put duct tape around half the door edge holding up the plastic liner, because I wanted to inspect inside the door. So maybe the duct tape thickness prevents the panel from sliding down; and I need to razor trim the duct tape back on all edge interfaces.
No, the duct tape isn't the problem. You may have to wiggle the panel
at 45% or so, and the hooked edge will find it's way into the metal groove
and "latch" so it is down all the way. It's tricky but with trial and error
you can get it to go down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks!!

Its the banging and wedging the rubber edge between the glass and metal door frame I missed. I appreciate the articulate instructions. After doing it in the Florida Sun, I can see hazy visions of it in my sleep now.

I thought I missed some guides somewhere because I put carbon fabric sheets over the plastic insulation to filter Rf energy signals amplified by hitting the protective steel beam in my door and especially through the door speaker magnets (ie - microwave magnetron).

Again, thank you greatly!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts