Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just inherited my first dodge and am excited to dig in. However, it starts off going not so well. Long story short- i think the motor needs to be replaced.
Its an 01 dakota quad 4x4 with the 4.7.

Can I use a 4.7 out of a 2000 durango slt?

·
Aww Peg!
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the DakotaZ from NC! Not sure if there were any changes between the 2 years or not. Glad you joined us, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

I am also not sure about your question, but I'm sure someone here will know.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Glad to have you here. As far as your question, I am no expert on these, but since the Dakota and Durango are basically the same base, I would think they would swap. Only thing I can think of is there might be some differences, as far as improvements from 1 yr to the next. Not sure if you'd need the ecm from the Durango or not. Perhaps, someone with more knowledge on the subject, will pop in and provide more input.

·
Registered
242 Posts
should swap right in basically the same truck, might be a good idea to swap the ecu but don' think you have to. I've been using a 00' durango for parts got all the window regulators, wind shield, rear axle assy, brake calipers, thinking about the torsion bars because the ones on the durango are thicker than mine. not done researching this swap yet. this durango has a 5.9L in it. I've been digging around i would love to do the hemi swap, but stroking that 360 to replace my 4.7 is also very tempting. both of these swaps require changing and reprogramming the ecu. we took a 5.4 from a silverado last year and put it in a 71' chevelle I had to send the ecu to memphis to get it reprogrammed. putting the same motor back in you can use your same sensors only changing hard parts shouldn't require an ecu change.
sorry so windy just thinkin out loud.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you with us!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts