Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a stick of dynamite? I am about ready to lite the fuse.

I have a '93 Dakota with the 3.9 v-6. It starts and misses immediately sometimes and at other time start and runs smoothly and then starts missing. Sometimes when it is missing, I can floor it and it will start running smoothly. Sometimes the missing is worse than at other time.

I have replaced the following: inline fuel filter, rubber gas line on both sides of the filter, the heat sending unit, the "brain", the plugs, plug wires, cam sensor, rotor, distributor cap.

Any Ideas?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"heat sending unit" - you mean the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor? Do remember there's two, one for the gauge and one for the ECT.

And I don't see mention of the plenum gasket. That's a known failure on the Magnum 3.9/5.2/5.9 because the intake is aluminum, the belly pan is steel, and the two expand/contract at a different rate. It can cause some really weird vacuum problems. An obvious test is to open the throttle body up (with the motor off!) and look down into the plenum. If it's oily, the gasket is most likely bad.

You can just replace the gasket, but Hughes has a kit with an aluminum belly pan so that expansion/contraction are within the gasket's ability to tolerate: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=7725&partid=26194

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts