Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone that is reading this post. I have a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7litre V8 from 2002 put in the 2003 Model. I have been trying since January to get the ECM module repaired or replaced. I did find a company in Vaughn, Ontario that said they could rebuild it for around $500.00. Received it back in early March and had the mechanics try and put it in. No such luck. After several phone calls, I convinced them that my mechanics did know what they were doing, and could they please double-check the work that had been done. 2 months and umpteen calls, emails, and texts later they shipped it back. Same thing no go. Called them back and said I wanted my $$$$ back.I was told to read the fine print on the invoice.
This is what I am looking for.
2003 Dodge Dakota
VIN # 1D7HG48Z13S128853
ECM PCM Module Part # see attached picture.

It has to be exact! Contact me through e-mail [email protected]

I am at my wit's end. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
When you say your mechanics have no such luck trying to put it in, do you mean that the engine will not run with the ECM installed? And that it did not run before you sent it in, and that is why it was sent in? Your VIN shows that the original engine was a 5.9L V8. Is the ECM from the 5.9L? Did it run before you did the swap?
The difference between the 4.7L and the 5.9L is big -- and not just a matter of displacement. The 4.7L is much more 'electronic', including electronic control of the transmission in its factory-installed version. Did you also swap transmissions, or are you using the one that came with the 5.9L? The intricacies of the differences is beyond my pay grade, but I'm thinking you need the advice of someone who has done this swap previously, and who knows what needs to be done to make your engine 'play nice' with your ECM.
Have you explained to the people who reworked your ECM that you also changed from a 5.9 to a 4.7? They may have the answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say your mechanics have no such luck trying to put it in, do you mean that the engine will not run with the ECM installed? And that it did not run before you sent it in, and that is why it was sent in? Your VIN shows that the original engine was a 5.9L V8. Is the ECM from the 5.9L? Did it run before you did the swap?
The difference between the 4.7L and the 5.9L is big -- and not just a matter of displacement. The 4.7L is much more 'electronic', including electronic control of the transmission in its factory-installed version. Did you also swap transmissions, or are you using the one that came with the 5.9L? The intricacies of the differences is beyond my pay grade, but I'm thinking you need the advice of someone who has done this swap previously, and who knows what needs to be done to make your engine 'play nice' with your ECM.
Have you explained to the people who reworked your ECM that you also changed from a 5.9 to a 4.7? They may have the answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I screwed up! It is 5.9. Yes, the Company Unitech Electronics knew what it was from. They had all the information and the service manager contacted them several times to urge them to fix it as well.
I woke up on Jan 9th went to start the truck and it wouldn't start. Had it towed to my mechanics(excellent reputation!) they immediately informed me the ECM was bad. The service manager(my son) checked all over North America for a used one. He could not find any at all.
I started to search on my own for one at that time. Posted adds on Kijiji and paid for them to be immediately visible when you logged on. Finally found a company in Vaughn, Ontario who would repair the one I had. During the Pandemic so everything was FUBAR anyway. I live just west of Edmonton, Alberta so shipping was required. Long story short was told 5 days turn around after they received it (turned in to a month) Contacted them after a week and I quote the service tech said "it's old" My response was duh it's from 2003. Got it back on 03/07/2020. Wouldn't work. Spent a month trying to get a hold of them. Sent it back and got it back the 1st week of June.Still no go. Now I'm trying again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I can't offer any help with regards to your issue with Unitech, but I did find out that the part number you show, 56040480AB is cross referenced to RL040480AB, and there is one online retailer in Tampa, FL that has a factory remanufactured one in stock for just under $260 US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wouldn't start BECAUSE the ECM was FUBAR. The diagnostic machine and the mechanics all agreed. Had several errors come up. The weird thing is the ECM won't work and there are no errors or readings of any kind. The fine print at the bottom of the invoice states "Our company is not responsible for existing/present software issues, we do not give refund warranty. Diagnostic, labors, and repair costs are not refundable." I asked them what do you warranty then?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not that I'm real familiar with the inner workings of an ECM/PCM, but I was under the impression that when you sent it in for 'repair', they would diagnose, and repair any hardware issues, then make sure the latest firmware/software was loaded into the unit. Their warranty statement doesn't make much sense if that's the case. If they determined during the diagnosis that the unit was not repairable, the diagnosis is the only thing they should have charged for, and just returned the unit as non-repairable. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that I'm real familiar with the inner workings of an ECM/PCM, but I was under the impression that when you sent it in for 'repair', they would diagnose, and repair any hardware issues, then make sure the latest firmware/software was loaded into the unit. Their warranty statement doesn't make much sense if that's the case. If they determined during the diagnosis that the unit was not repairable, the diagnosis is the only thing they should have charged for, and just returned the unit as non-repairable. Just my two cents.
That was my understanding as well! Apparently, according to them, there have been people who have other problems who get them repaired and then want a refund anyway. I did check them out first. I went to their webpage and followed every instruction to the letter! Volvo Instrument Cluster Repair, TCM Repair , Volvo ABS ECM Repair Looks pretty damn legit to me. I sent it back once and they were supposed to have double checked everything again. Did have another lined up just in case but the guy fell off the face of the death and is ghosting me now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't offer any help with regards to your issue with Unitech, but I did find out that the part number you show, 56040480AB is cross referenced to RL040480AB, and there is one online retailer in Tampa, FL that has a factory remanufactured one in stock for just under $260 US.

What is the retailer's name? I have a very good condition 4x4 sitting with a new engine, amazing body, new tires, and all the bells and whistles! Already blew $600.00 on trying to get it running. Way too late to give up now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry about the previous post. I didn't notice that the link was included! Thanks for your help. Checking with them now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a '03 with a 5.9 that had an intermittent crank/start/shut down issue that devolved into a permanent crank/no start condition. After trouble shooting it & determining it to be the ECM I wound up sending it to a place called SIA Electronics in Tilden, Il. I believe the cost of the repair was $100 (they claim a lifetime warranty on their work) & they told me they replaced a pin & a transistor. I will say that their turn time was not what they advertise on their site, but it didn't take an unGodly long time either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you could find someone with a running truck like yours that would let you try those modules that would be golden.
If both modules work then that confirms that you have another issue.
Never rule out a bad wire etc.
Diagnostics will only give correct information is the connection and wiring is good. May give a failure response if bad wiring or connection also.
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update, Sent the ECM to Pottstown Pennsylvania,they called back and informed me the Module was bad. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone, I’m just reposting to try and get more exposure for the post. I’m still looking for an ECM for the 2003 5.9 Dakota quad cab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts