Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was working on my 2001 5.9 4 wheel drive Dakota. I was pulling a vacuum on the AC system and finally got some freon in it so it is cooling good. I decided to rinse the dirt off the engine which I have done a million times, but this time as soon as I sprayed the engine it started idling really high, like at 3000 rpm and when I took it for a drive, it will not shift into second unless I punch it and then it shifts really hard as it goes into second. I can't get it to shift into third at all. I just changed the TPS (throttle position sensor) about a week ago because it was shifting way too soon. Put a new throttle position sensor in and that solved that problem. I wonder if getting the new one wet is causing the current problem. It was fine before I decided to wash it. I remember when I installed the TPS it had a gasket and an
o-ring, I used the gasket because it does not look like the o-ring fits anything. Also why would getting water on it cause the sensor to fail? I lightly sprayed the engine while it was running. I have sprayed the engine down before with way more water than I used last night many times and never had a problem. As soon as the water touched the engine the rpm's shot up to around 3000. I tried driving it around thinking it would dry it off and it would be back to normal. It did seem to improve as I drove it around, it started idling normal but it was still not shifting right. Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Everytime I get this thing going good, something like this happens lol. I guess I will try putting the old sensor back on and see if there is any change. Is there anything else I can check?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts