Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am driving down the highway and the mph's dropped about 5mph and then it became slugish and the engine died. Now it will not start.

Background: I have been burning oil and been putting in about a quart a month and it has been overheating but was only a little hot at the time the engine cut out.

The engine will turn over and is throwing no codes, Oil level is good, I tried pouring gas in the throttle body and it still wont crank. it has spark What are my next steps? Thanks for any help!

T

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

Its odd that it isn't throwing a code. In looking for posts that might offer help, I found this one. Good luck!

·
Registered
830 Posts
So I am driving down the highway and the mph's dropped about 5mph and then it became slugish and the engine died. Now it will not start.

Background: I have been burning oil and been putting in about a quart a month and it has been overheating but was only a little hot at the time the engine cut out.
That is excessive oil loss, I'm surprised that the O2 sensors on your vehicle are not rendered useless because of that. But these would
give you a code.

The engine will turn over and is throwing no codes, Oil level is good, I tried pouring gas in the throttle body and it still wont crank. it has spark What are my next steps? Thanks for any help!
You cannot pour straight gas into the throttle body of a sequential port fuel injected engine. The gas has to be atomized to mix with the air for the correct 14.7 (air) to 1 (gas) mixture. You can pour straight gas into it with a garden hose and it won't start!

There are 3 things an engine needs to start and run.
Timing/compression/correct fuel-air mixture/ and spark of course.

On the 5.2 liter engine, there are two sensors that control engine
timing..the crank sensor and the cam sensor. Both are hall effect
sensors and don't always produce a code depending on what
kind of failure.

The cam sensor o/p can be checked by taking a sparkplug wire out of the distributor cap
and putting it on the coil terminal and connecting the other end to a spare spark plug
and grounding the plug against the engine while cranking. If there is a repetitive spark,
then the cam sensor is working.

The crank sensor controls the sequential port injector timing. This is more difficult to check
especially if there is no code. IF the fuel pressure is verified at the fuel rail test port, it may
be worthwhile to replace the crank sensor because at that point,
you have established good fuel pump pressure and tested for a spark.

The other thing on these 5.2litres is the fuel pressure in the line.
If the fuel pump is good, it should be 45psi at the test port on
the fuel rail. Get an aftermarket fuel pressure guage and test it.
Even if the fuel rail is depressurized with the engine sitting there,
it should go up to 45psi in less than 1 sec when the ignition key
turned on. The engine doesn't have to start..just turn the key to
on and measure the fuel pressure at that point.

If it doesn't come up to the proper pressure,
the ASD relay (auto shutdown) may be activated or fuel pump relay may be deactivated by the PCM,
or the fuel pressure regulator/filter in the fuel pump module is bad, or the fuel pump itself may be
not be building up the proper pressure.

So in summary, the first thing you need to check before changing
any sensors is the fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure drops below
35psi, the engine probably will not start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts