Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking over the winter here of putting the 5.9 in my 07 dakota and then supercharging it does anyone have any reccomendations on what supercharger to use

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
im sure you can get a 5.9 for a lot less, but why not go with the 5.7 hemi?

i know of a few companies that make superchargers but not sure if they all make them for every engine, youtube will probably be a good place to look to see if anyone else has done that

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
not at all, my 5.9 is heavier than the 5.7. it should be fine, check youtube, ive also seen people put the 6.1 hemi in dakotas and durangos

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
From my reading on this topic, the biggest challenge is mating up the wiring from the modern hemi's computer to the computer controlled accessories in an older truck (like mine). If someone made a kit, I'd consider it, but from what I've read each one is sort of a one off of its own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
will the auto trany for the 3.7 bolt up without problems to the 4.7 HO in the 06s? that's probably going to be the biggest I'd go for my dakota for gas reasons

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm not sure, but since that engine was available as an option on your year of Dakota it would probably work IMHO. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will post up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the 3.7 will bolt ip with the 4.7 and if you ever seen the 5.7 in newer durango its a tight fit and you gave to do alot to put it in a dak and the shear width of the is amazing my brother has one siitting in his engine shed better just go with the 5.9 bit your gunna need the tranny and wiring harness and computer good luck with the swap ..... and kenny bell makes a charger i belive for it but you should go centrifical s/c they make more than roots and twinn screw esp if you run a CAC (charge air cooler)

·
Registered
47 Posts
the 5.9 will not fit in your truck, the motor mounts are completely different from the two blocks, get a 5.7 it'll bolt right up and mount up nicely, but be snug

·
Registered
26 Posts
dakotas never came with 5.7 either i dont thing the mounts will work nmw and ifi had to do some custom work id want as much room as possible and5.7 is just ginna be a big old mess

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope this is the right place... I've got a 96 Dakota with 318 and AOD which is frightfully underpowered. I'd do anything to get 300+ hp under the hood. I researched a 360 swap but that won't get 300 horses either. And from what I'm reading a late model hemi won't squeeze under the hood. Am I just stuck with my little pony?

·
Registered
26 Posts
your 5.2 is more that capable of makeing 300hp there awspme engineesxand havw tins of potential its stick with it heads, cam, intake, tb, headers the swap ir autp tranny fir tge one out if a r/t ull be well over 300 hp closer to 400 and theres more work you can do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts