Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 v6 sport Dakota, I’ve been wondering what the size of the biggest motor I can throw in? Could I swap it for a v8? Or a small block?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Umm ...

You may first want to specify what your end game is.

But if it helps - you can drop in a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum, either or both were options for 2000 in the Dakota.

The 5.9, 360cid, can be bored and stroked to 408ci, 6.7L.

RwP

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Step 0 for both of you. Grab your year's factory service manual.

RC96SLT - one thing that helps is that the 1996 was OBDII, so even though a 5.9 was not a factory option, you can pick up a V8 ECU, a 5.9 and a 46RE, add the two injector wires from the engine harness connector to the ECU, and go. Past that, call a tuner to get the max out of that 5.9. The 5.9 will need a Dakota oil pan, so ideally you find a Dakota donor for it; but if not, the pan can be bought.

And as mentioned, it can be stroked and bored slightly to 408ci/6.7L.

RwP

·
Registered
404 Posts
Define "biggest". The "biggest" engine to ever come in a Dakota is a 5.9

The "biggest" V8 Dodge ever made was the 440, and I know a guy sticking one in his Dakota

The "biggest" Dodge engine made are the V10s. Two kinds exist. The old gas hog, big torque Magnum truck engines and the exotic Viper V10s. I don't know of anyone who had stuff either into a Dakota, but I do know the magnum engines have very little performance parts available, and the Viper V10s are pretty pricey

The "biggest" engine used in any Dodge in terms of size and weight is the Cummins 6BT turbo Diesel, and believe it or not, it will fit under the hood of a Dakota, but you'll need a really big shoe horn and about 55 gals of Vaseline to squeeze it in. Ask me how I know

Ed

·
Registered
115 Posts
How fast you wanna go? Money is power, big money is big power. It's a matter of configuration. You can put a old school 426 in it, but you'd have to put additional frame, suspension, trans, and body mods on it. Splicing PCMs on not intended engines is above my pay grade. Just my opinion, if you do that? A whole host of changes would have to be made to the Valve-train, bore, and cams. Upgrades to cooling cuz it's naturally going to run hotter. A quality FCA mechanic is going to have to tune the thing, through the PCM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to put a 100 or so hp kabota diesel in mine when the motor kicks the bucket. It's going to be awhile so I have time to plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts