Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Club Cab has an exhaust leak that seems to be around the area of where the exhaust pipe connects to the left exhaust manifold. So, I checked online, with the local part stores and NONE of them list any kind of gasket (donut style or anything)! What's the deal? I have yet to see an exhaust connection, to where there wasn't a gasket of some sort. So, I thought that maybe you were supposed to put some kind of high temp sealer on there, but my manual doesn't tell anything and the parts guy was of no help. Any input here, would be greatly appreciated. Stock manifolds and pipes BTW. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
to be honest Bill, i didnt know there was supposed to be a gasket there. most of the exhaust manifolds i have seen have a flange that fits INTO the exhaust pipe on its way to the cat (if it has one) so no need for a gasket, but i could be wrong

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had both exhaust flanges/bolts rot out on me and when the O2 sensors
were changed recently, disturbing the exhaust pipe caused the exhaust pipe flange to drop down
from the exhaust manifold flange making lots of noise.
The mechanic installed after market repair flange clamps on both exhaust manifolds because the other one
looked pretty weak as well.
(Repair exhaust flange clamps are split and "hinged" somehow, so they can fit around the existing stainless
exhaust pipe if the stainless pipe is still good. The rusted out weak bolts had to be replaced at the same time.

I have a Dodge Ram shop manual and it the exhaust diagram for the 2000 Ram 3.9/5.2 do not show any donut ring
gaskets. These exhaust flanges are just a direct fit mechanical connection.
The exhaust pipe is flared, fits into the exhaust manifold flange, held together by the two bolts.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had both exhaust flanges/bolts rot out on me and when the O2 sensors
were changed recently, disturbing the exhaust pipe caused the exhaust pipe flange to drop down
from the exhaust manifold flange making lots of noise.
The mechanic installed after market repair flange clamps on both exhaust manifolds because the other one
looked pretty weak as well.
(Repair exhaust flange clamps are split and "hinged" somehow, so they can fit around the existing stainless
exhaust pipe if the stainless pipe is still good. The rusted out weak bolts had to be replaced at the same time.

I have a Dodge Ram shop manual and it the exhaust diagram for the 2000 Ram 3.9/5.2 do not show any donut ring
gaskets. These exhaust flanges are just a direct fit mechanical connection.
The exhaust pipe is flared, fits into the exhaust manifold flange, held together by the two bolts.

Thanks for the input, I am going to have to take a closer look at mine, in the next few days.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I put the Club Cab on ramps and crawled under there, to see just what I had and the system looks pretty solid. The converter is gone and was replaced by a piece of pipe and has a slender muffler in place back toward the rear end. I think I will see about dropping the crossover exhaust pipe from the manifolds and see what THAT looks like. I kinda expect to have to replace the bolts/spring sets and maybe I can just clean up the pipes (where they mount up to the manifolds), put in new bolt kits and be good to go. Maybe? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been having this exact same problem at first i thought it was the cat, but the previous owner had a straight pipe installed and it sounds like it's coming from the flange but there is no flange gaskets so I guess I need to get under there again and check out those bolts and see what's going, if you could tell me how yours went and what you needed to get, I feel like mine might be the same issue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts