Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been faintly smelling gas for about a year and couldn’t find a leak anywhere and nothing on the ground. Oh, by the way, I am talking about a 1999 Dakota Sport with a 6 cylinder. Anyway, I pulled into my driveway and say smoke coming from the hood. I opened the hood to find fire. I rushed in the house to get a fire extinguisher but I couldn’t find it of course. I rushed back out and grabbed the hose. It took a bit but I managed to get the fire out. After it cooled down I checked around and found what a thought to be a loose fuel connection. After tightening I turned the key and looked for leaking fuel. I didn’t see any so I engaged the starter. It started and I quickly had a raging inferno. I turned it off and grabbed the hose. I had fire everywhere. Even my driveway was on fire. This time it was much more difficult to get the fire out. I am somewhat surprised there isn’t more damage than what I see on visual inspection. There is an emissions valve that is a crispy blob. I am hoping that someone with a similar year could take pictures of thAt area so I can rebuild that section. Ideally, I would like to find someone with a junker that could provide the parts I will need. Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
We need a little more detail. Not about the fires - you covered that pretty well. Where was the fuel connection you thought was leaking? What emissions valve are you talking about? Most components dealing with evaporative emissions control only deal with fuel vapors, which are indeed flammable, but wouldn't show any evidence of a liquid fuel leak. And exhaust emissions are all in the exhaust system except for EGR. Was the initial fire on top of the engine, or along the side of the engine or lower?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original fire was to the right of the air cleaner close to the firewall. Apparently, someone had attached a line to check fuel pressure and left the line connected to the schrader valve. It was this connection that I had tightened. The fire was right in that area. Above that is a valve with a bunch of hoses connecting to it. It was mounted on the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but I would guess it's either the purge solenoid valve or the leak detection pump. I have a 2003 Dakota with the V6, and both of these are mounted in the left fender well area, but the 2000 FSM shows the purge solenoid valve mounted on the fire wall next to the vacuum booster for the brakes. I am guessing that's what the charred component is in this picture. It has two vacuum hoses attached to it, one (marked vac) that goes to the intake manifold or throttle body, and the other goes to the charcoal canister. Sometimes the line to the manifold has a tee in it, and the second line goes to the leak detection pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the fuel line and capped the schrader valve. I turned the key to the run position and checked for leaks. I didn’t find any so I turned it over with extinguisher in hand. Much to my surprise, it started up. I had found a match at the junkyard and removed most of what I thought I needed. I hooked up most of what I needed and took it for a short drive. So far things are looking good. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts