·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been on a php type message board in a while and actually wrote a little about it last night and forgot to hit "save". I had a bit of trouble doing the image link.

Anyway....the guy I got it from was VERY motivated to sell. He had 5 other trucks he bought and was doing various things with them. Mine was the first he had done and his wife was tired of all the trucks in the yard. Yes, I live in West Virginia. So, he needed to sell this one for parts on the others. I basically paid about half the book value. With new tires, radiator, transmission, brake lines and a couple other things. I went ahead and got the Carfax report, which showed only 3 owners (the first had it 12 years), no wrecks or major problems.

The only thing I wasn't wild about was the color. The graphics on the sides were a sea foam green, which is a real hit to a guys masculinity in this state. So I masked them off and repainted them black. There's no chrome, just all black detail, but in varying degrees of sun bleaching. I know they started as black, they were grey for the most part when I got it. So, little by little, I've been getting the trim and everything back to black.

As far as the engine and everything else, I don't need to do a thing. I've put 300 miles on it since I got it a month ago and it's not been hard to start or made a funny noise at all. I did have a thing with the transmission, but I got it to the shop and they took care of it quick. I guess the bolts?????? didn't have the proper torchue and was leaking a tiny bit.

I also put a small box in the back. I certainly can't afford a full size one at the going rate of about $160 around here, so I found a small one and pulled a MacGuyver job.

Basically, I took out the bedliner after matching up where to drill the holes. Drilled the holes in the box and the liner. Put the bolts through the bottom of the liner upward. I put the liner back in, unscrewed the nuts and mounted the box. So, the box was $19.99 then $2.20 for hardware, and this is what I ended up with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

No surprise to my friends at all that when I get a truck, this is the first thing going on it. It's one of those high quality rub on deals I found at a great price on eBay. I wanted to put it in the middle on the window, but I was afraid the heavy duty weather stripping I put on the seals would rub it off completely. So, it's behind the driver seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is what both sides looked like when I bought the truck. As soon as I decided to buy it, the first thing I said was, "That green isn't going to last long."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts