Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post about something not already on my truck.

Here's the deal: Here in West Virginia, in the valleys and near any bodies of water, we get a pretty good amount of fog. I work on a golf course and get there about 5:00 am. Here's the kicker, the entire golf club is private (Pete Dye) and a nature preserve as well. From turning off the main road and onto the property, it's about a 4 to 5 mile drive through 2 streams and countless lakes. It's usually foggy and I don't go two days without seeing deer on or very close to the road.

So, I'm wanting to install some fog lights. I've priced a few at Walmart, but I honestly don't know what to look for. I would like everything in one install kit. Wiring is not a problem for me at all.

I was originally thinking of the LED lights, but on further inspection, the only thing I can get around here is LED for off-road or show only. Which is fine.

But any information, hints or tips would be great. Right down to wattage and what to consider.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm a big advocate of fog lights. I burn them almost constantly on all my vehicles. My rides have the OEM fogs, so I'm not really up on what aftermarket choices are out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your sentiment is swiftly becoming my sentiment. Especially after this morning. For some reason (and I'm not the only person to notice this) there seem to be a lot of fawn this time of year. Unusual. So I had 2 run in front of me, followed by I'm guessing mom. Then I got half a mile, and another one ran in front of me. It wasn't all that foggy this morning, but in this area it's really difficult to predict how much fog we will get.

Anyway, I took probably the first step and scoped out where to mount them and what dimensions I should be looking for.

Hopefully I'm on the right track with this. Just seems logical to me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the air dam under the front bumper has the spots for them in the factory location. you just have to cut it out. go to the junk yard find a wrecked dodge with lights still in it make sure you get the brackets too. the wiring is already there. shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I did not know about what's already there. I was taking those measurements a few minutes ago. I'll see about locating the wiring. This thing has been modified all over the damn place, so I'll need to check first. I do have the air dam under the bumper, are they all pretty much the same? As far as the dam itself goes.

On the junk yard thing, I've checked several times around here for things, and there is only one that has anything remotely close to my truck. All of them have the computer inventory and stuff, and one I ended up calling to make sure. I was going to shop at a few different places tomorrow and see what I like. I was going to go about $20, maybe a little more if I find something really special. But I'm just going for a basic fog light assembly anyway.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the ones at that go on tractors will fit in the hole after you cut it I don't know the measurements but there is like an imprint in the air dam for the fog lights just cut it to fit your lights. those little deer whistles that mount on the front bumper actually work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I couldn't find an imprint on the air dam, but I picked out the lights I wanted that fit within it. Of course, taking into account how hot the lights would get. The bumper wasn't an option for aesthitic reasons and I'm not wild about messing up the air bag sensor. But I got them mounted right were I like them with some support from within the air dam moulding. I just need to run the wiring now. A bit tired after my 6 day work week. I thought I'd post a pic. If anyone sees a problem with the placement or any other concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know. Especially since it's not too late to change anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I am officially "all good" with the fog lights. I had the above lights in, but hadn't started the wiring yet. When I got to it this morning, the wiring harness was a mess. So after doing some research, it appears the box had been opened and I was missing things. I went to a closer store intending to get more wire, but they didn't have 20 gauge, and what they did have was way expensive.

But I found these lights that have the blue tint that somewhat matches my paint. I opened the box in the store, it was all there, so I got those. They were $5 less then the ones I had before.

I got these on and had no problem whatsoever with wiring. The only thing was tearing out the dash board and finding a place for the rocker switch. But I've got lots of practice at that. And instead of drilling a hole in the fire wall, I fit the 3 wires through the hole for the hood release, then just made a tiny notch in the rubber plug and put it all back together.

The lights work just as they are supposed to. Now I'll do a test when it gets dark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts