Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 Dakota, with its 3.9L V-6, holds only FOUR quarts of oil. In the last few years, oil has been sold in 5+ quart bottles. I actually use a little less than 4 qts, because I add a bottle of STP at each oil change. (yes, it's old-school, but it works!)
So I keep a bottle for the leftover oil, and after about 3 or 4 oil changes, I have enough so the next change is free.

I've had the oil changed by others, and they always overfill it by adding 5 qts. Anybody else had such experience?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think some people out there automatically assume that every engine holds 5 quarts. About a couple of decades ago 5 quarts was the norm, but these days it all depends. The best thing to do during an oil change is refer to the owner's manual or at least check the dip stick because some engines do not hold 5 quarts and some hold much more than 5 quarts, and don't forget, sometimes the oil filter holds up to a quart of oil too.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.