Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I am new to the truck thing, I just purchased an 02 Dakota with 77,000 on it, 4x4, stick, SLT. Love it. I am a Jeep kinda guy, but that took a dump on me recently. I am joining to learn from everyone tips and fixes.
I already have an issue with the front drivers side brake. I drove home from the dealer and stopped for some go go juice and I had smoke bellowing out of the wheel well. When I test drove the brake rotor had a groovr in it about an inch wide and deep enough to put 2 quarters back to back and still not touch the good lip:eek:. They replaced the pads and rotors for free and inspection. Is there an issue with the calipers and if so how the hell did they miss that.
Anyway thanks for having me and I look forward to chatting

Jeremy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes repair work on a used vehicle doesn't get the attention to detail that another vehicle would. If everything "looks" okay, it might be driven out to the lot and ready for sale. Finding a stuck caliper isn't that difficult if you are looking for it, especially with the symptoms you described! Usually, the brakes are used for a short time and then the wheels lifted off the ground. Rotating the wheel will indicate if a drag is present or not. If so, then it needs to be determined whether the drag is mechanical or hydraulic. If loosening a bleeder releases the caliper, then there is a hydraulic issue keeping fluid from returning to the master cylinder reservoir. If the caliper is still dragging when the bleeder is loosened, then the issue is mechanical. It could be frozen or sticking caliper slides or a stuck piston. These are not so uncommon in vehicles with a good number of miles, and you can't really be sure how the person drove it before you.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts