Dakota Forumz banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have been slow to refresh this page but damn, that looks terrible! With my luck, that is what I may have. I'll get under it tomorrow and inspect. So it looks like the frame is okay but is all that tear from the cab?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, all that tearing is part of the cab. Theres a body mount, just behind the front tire. (-Mine had a body lift, so the lift block is seen in the pic) That body mount sits between the frame and the cab. The cab has a sheet metal structure which rests on the mount. It's kind of like a rectangular tube structure. This area is known to rust because just behind the tire, this rectangular tube structure where the cab rests on the body mounts, has a square access hole on the side facing the tire, and it catches all sorts of dirt sand and salt from the tire, which leads to rusting. Before the structure completely failed on my truck, it was rusted like swiss cheese and already began making noises like the one you described, in the same area you suspected. The tearing happened when I was in 4wd going over a berm. When it broke, it sounded like a sledge hammer, then after that, the cab swayed a lot more during turns. Very dangerous!

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Relatively new to the forum. I have searched this forum as well as others but I have a front end clunk. I thought it would be ball joints, bushings, etc. but I am sure I probably wasted some money. My truck is 2002 Dakota 4x4 and has about 186,000 miles on it.

I replaced the upper/lower control arms with ball joints and bushings, inner/outer tie rod ends w/bellows, sway bar bushings, shocks and hubs. Basically all new...but I still have a clunk when hitting decent cracks in the road and kind of a squeaky groan going over a relatively deep divot/depression. Sounds like it is behind the the front wheels, not sure. Torsion bars, any ideas?

Thanks,

Gregg
Ball joints took care of my clunk. My intermediate shaft had a click and a slight bad spot in it but not a clunk when I changed it

21 - 23 of 23 Posts