1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2009 dakota slt 4.7v8 with 70,000 kms
just got back to Southern Alberta from Las Vegas
First big road trip with this truck and couldn't be happier with the passing power and handling but as soon as I crossed the border into the US my fuel gauge quit

I filled up from 1/4 tank but when I pulled away it read 3/4 full, I thought no big deal, I just didnt top it off, but I was wrong
over next 2 weeks fuel level gauge reads less and less, now when its full it shows 1/4 to 1/2 full
is this a common problem?

dealer in Idaho and in Calgary both quoted $450 for replace sending unit

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us. I've not read about this issue, but my truck is older.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! i'm not familiar with the newer models, but i think the sending unit is in the tank so that might be why the price is a bit high. i could be wrong though

·
Registered
115 Posts
welcome sorry for the issue and i also belive the fuel pump, fuel filter, and sending unit is all combined in 1 unit and in the tank i think its like 200 bucks at min. for just the unit not including labor... i would change it yourself if you do need it replaced... easiest way not to fool with the tank and to be comfortable to work on it is to remove the bed like 6bolts and taillight wires and like 3-4 friends to help you lift the bed and move it... o and a case of beer lol that way everyone gets paid

·
Registered
115 Posts
according to my online military chiltons manual

location of sending unit
The fuel level sending unit is attached to the side of the fuel pump module located in the fuel tank. The sending unit consists of a float, an arm, and a variable resistor track (card).
(reffrence first pic)

Operation

The fuel level sending unit is attached to the side of the fuel pump module located in the fuel tank. The sending unit consists of a float, an arm, and a variable resistor track (card). The resistor track is used to send electrical signals to the PCM for fuel gauge and for OBD II emission requirements.
As the fuel level increases, the float and arm move upwards. This action decreases the sending unit resistance, causing the fuel gauge to move toward the F indication. As the fuel level decreases, the float and arm move downwards and the gauge moves to the E indication.
When the electrical signal is sent to the PCM, the PCM transmits the data across the CCD bus circuits to the instrument panel. At this point, it is translated to an appropriate fuel gauge level reading.
For OBD II emission monitor requirements, a voltage signal is sent from the resistor track on the sending unit to the PCM to indicate fuel level. The purpose of this feature is to prevent the OBD II from recording/setting false misfire and fuel system monitor trouble codes. The feature is activated if the level in the tank is less than approximately 15 percent of its rated capacity. If equipped with a leak detection pump, this feature will also be activated if the fuel level in the tank is more than about 85 percent of its rated capacity.

Removal & Installation

CAUTION The fuel system is under a constant pressure, even with the engine OFF. Before servicing the fuel pump module, the fuel system pressure must be released.

1. Release the fuel system pressure. Refer to Relieving Fuel System Pressure.
  2. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  3. Drain and remove the fuel tank.
  4. Note the rotational position of the fuel pump module before attempting removal. An indexing arrow is located on the top of the module for this purpose.
  5. Position the Lockring Remover/Installer 9340 (3) into the notches on the outside edge of the lockring (5).
  6. Install a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar (1) to the Lockring Remover/Installer 9340 (3).
  7. Rotate the breaker bar counter-clockwise to remove the lockring.
  8. Remove the lockring. The module will spring up slightly when the lockring is removed.
  9. Remove the module from the fuel tank. Be careful not to bend the float arm while removing.
    Remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank
To install:
NOTE Whenever the fuel pump module is serviced, the rubber seal (gasket) must be replaced.

1. Using a new seal (gasket), position the fuel pump module into the opening in the fuel tank.
  2. Position the lockring (5) over the top of the fuel pump module.
  3. Rotate the module until the embossed alignment arrow points to the center alignment mark. This step must be performed to prevent the float from contacting the side of the fuel tank. Also, be sure the fuel fitting on the top of the pump module is pointed to the driver’s side of the vehicle.
  4. Install the Lockring Remover/Installer 9340 (3) to the lockring.
  5. Install a 1/2 inch drive breaker (1) into the Lockring Remover/Installer 9340 (3).
  6. Tighten the lockring (clockwise) until all 7 notches have engaged.
  7. Install the fuel tank.
Testing

For OBD II emission monitor requirements, a voltage signal is sent from the resistor track on the sending unit to the PCM to indicate fuel level. The purpose of this feature is to prevent the OBD II from recording/setting false misfire and fuel system monitor trouble codes. The feature is activated if the level in the tank is less than approximately 15 percent of its rated capacity. If equipped with a leak detection pump, this feature will also be activated if the fuel level in the tank is more than about 85 percent of its rated capacity.
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Measure the resistance across the sending unit terminals.
  3. With the float in the UP position, resistance should be 14—26 ohms.
  4. With the float in the DOWN position, resistance should be 214—226 ohms.
  5. Resistance should increase and decrease gradually as the float arm is moved. If odd resistance readings are evident at any point in the movement, replace the sending unit.

Leme Know if all this information helps you or anyone else for that matter

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts