Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I had a smell of fuel on the dipstick when I checked my oil. Periodically had a misfire feeling when driving. Bad gas mileage and engine seemed to have a hard time to take off, as in I had to really give it gas (hard to explain)
Anyway I changed spark plugs on the weekend. WOW they were el cheapos and burnt up so bad the post where it sparks was almost completely gone on most of them.
Now my truck runs smooth, tons of power on take off, etc. Except I smell gas when I idle. Stupid I know, but I don't have a gap tool so fingers crossed that the plugs were gapped properly.
If plugs are not gapped properly can this cause the fuel smell on idle? I have literally no other issues with the truck since changing the plugs and have drove it for three days city and county to be sure.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Have you changed your oil? If you had really bad spark plugs, your injectors may have been shooting a lot of raw (unburned) fuel past the piston rings into the crankcase. And your crankcase ventilation system, if it is leaking anywhere, is passing some of the fuel vapor into the engine compartment. Check your PCV hoses and PCV valve. But first, change your oil if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed your oil? If you had really bad spark plugs, your injectors may have been shooting a lot of raw (unburned) fuel past the piston rings into the crankcase. And your crankcase ventilation system, if it is leaking anywhere, is passing some of the fuel vapor into the engine compartment. Check your PCV hoses and PCV valve. But first, change your oil if you haven't already.

Thanks for the advice.
I had planned on changing the oil same day I did plugs. Figured the smell on the dipstick was from unburnt fuel with bad plugs. But it was super windy and I'm working in my driveway so oil change will be this week.
Was just concerned cause I didnt have the smell in the cab prior to changing plugs.
I'll check OVCV at same time.
I'll give it a bit after I change oil n see if smell is gone.
If not I'll repost with update!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts