Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to insert a fuse into the #16 slot in the fuse box, I get a spark and the fuse blows.
The #16 slot is a 5amp and its for the Transmission Oil Temperature Lamp, 4WD Indicator Lamp, Transmission Overdrive Module, Buzzer.
I was wondering if the transfer case sensor that tells the 4WD indicator lamp to come on went bad. If so would it cause the fuse to blow like this or do I have a short somewhere? If I have a short how do I track it down, where should I start?

·
Aww Peg!
2,957 Posts
I would start by disconnecting one component at a time *the ones you can get to) and check to see if the fuse blows. Of course you'll need a box of them to check it out this way. I would also Google your problem and see if anything comes up on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I started by unplugging the chunky fuses from the fuse box in the engine compartment. When I pulled the 30amp for the ignition system the spark did not happen. So I was thinking that I did recently change the ignition switch, so maybe that's the problem. I took the casings off the steering column and started unplugging clips and testing the fuse for spark. Then I noticed a some wires coming off the steering column to a blue plugin clip. I had plugged in there a black clip that comes out from around the same harness as the power mirrors. When I disconnected these the spark stopped. So I managed to fix the problem and I know now not to plug different colour clips to each other even if they do fit. I would like to know however, if anyone knows what this blue clip is for and what the black clip is for, since they don't seem to have anywhere to plug in? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts