Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have an 2001 dakota 4.7 club cab, i get like 9 miles a gallon..how can i get better mileage on it..i keep hearing change the fuel filter but i cant find it any ideas

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, I myself, am not familiar with the newer Dakotas. Now, on the earlier ones, the filter is located under the truck, mounted on the inward side of the frame (I think, on the right side of the truck). If you don't have a manual, I'd be going and getting a Chilton's or Haynes manual from the local Auto Part Store and that will come in handy for lots of things later on.

Hope that helps. Hopefully someone with more insight to the later model Dakotas will pop in here soon and elaborate more on the subject.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
how long have you had your truck? have you changed the oil/filter (oil and air)/spark plugs recently? not sure where the fuel filter is either on that engine (heck, not sure i know where it is on mine LOL)

have you ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it? tire pressure ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Plugs, air filter. I add motorcoat to my engine everyother oil change and it changes my fuel economy big time. I removed my truck topper and that helped a lot. Check tire pressure, tire size? Drive it conservatively. Certain heat adjustments run your A/C compressor. This will kill your gas mileage. I also pulled my air intake off and cleaned the carbon build up around the inner part of the flap and around the round part, don't know if this made a differnce but can't heart. These dodges arn't known for their fuel economy, but they sure have some awesome power. With all of these changes I can get 17 miles to the gallon now. I drive 15 miles to work one way, speed limit is 55 entire way with 3 stop signs. Before I made these adjustments I was getting 12.5 miles to the gallon. A toneau cover is next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fairly new to the Dakota's myself . But that sounds low My 04 Slt 4.7 get right around 17 to the gallon I have air raid intake & Gibson exhaust .All fluids are synthetic & I have a toneau cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I think the fuel filters on the newer Daks are in the tank, I have switched to synthetic fluids and it helped my mileage some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My truck has the 4.7 motor and I average about 18-19 mpg city and highway. It has a magnaflow dual exhaust and a K&N Intake. I got this Lucas oil fuel treatment. it's a uppercylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. Try that, it really helped me out. When I went to Carolina I averaged 21 mpg. I maintained a constant speed of 65 mph and never stomped the gas.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My truck has the 4.7 motor and I average about 18-19 mpg city and highway. It has a magnaflow dual exhaust and a K&N Intake. I got this Lucas oil fuel treatment. it's a uppercylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. Try that, it really helped me out. When I went to Carolina I averaged 21 mpg. I maintained a constant speed of 65 mph and never stomped the gas.
thats the key, maintaining speed, not speeding, and not stomping on the gas

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also looked for the fuel filter and there isn't one. I went to the auto parts store and when they put it in the computer, it said "not servicable". I don't know how or why there isn't a filter but that's what I was told. If this is wrong, let me know.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
according to my Haynes manual, the fuel filter/fuel regulator is in the fuel tank and that is for all engines covered from 2000-2004

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i think so, it says not to pull it out more than three inches, and you have to take the tank off. it says it only needs to be replaced if you suspect fuel contamination

·
Registered
242 Posts
the fuel filter for the 4.7 is built into the fuel pump inside the tank to replace the filter you have to replace the pump and they are about 250.00.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I also looked for the fuel filter and there isn't one.
I went to the auto parts store and when they put it in the computer, it said "not servicable".
I don't know how or why there isn't a filter but that's what I was told. If this is wrong, let me know.
I got the same response from a parts depot when I inquired about the
fuel filter on my '98 318. The fuel filter/regulator on the sequential
port fuel injected engines is inside the tank on the fuel pump module
which consists of:

pre-screen inlet filter, fuel guage float/sending unit, high pressure fuel pump,fuel filter/regulator..
the last being a separate unit which according to my Haynes manual is *supposed* to be replaceable,
but that requires dropping the fuel tank (rusty brackets), getting at the top of the fuel module,
twisting out the fuelfilter/pressure regulator from its rubber grommet on the
fuel pump module *just enough* to get at the clamp on it's hose.
(Its connected to the high pressure side of the electric fuel pump inside the fuel pump module.)

The warning is that you must not pull out the fuel filter more than 3 inches,
otherwise damage to the other end of the tubing will result. Then you
have to cut the hose clamp, pull off the old filter unit and install new
filter/regulator with new clamp using hose clamp pliers.

This all has to be done with care and know how, obviously and
the pressure has to be released at fuel rail on the engine (schrader
valve). So, I'm not sure the reason they don't seem to sell it
separately other than the fact that is not easily serviceable by the owner.
Maybe because they are concerned of fires due to leaks if the high pressure
hose is not clamped securely. These run around 40-45psi.

So unlike the old days, now you have to replace the entire fuel pump
module ($$$) rather than just an economical fuel filter and because of the
cost, wait until it fails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also looked for the fuel filter and there isn't one. I went to the auto parts store and when they put it in the computer, it said "not servicable". I don't know how or why there isn't a filter but that's what I was told. If this is wrong, let me know.
I have a 94 V6 3.6 Dakota and the only gas filter is on the fuel pump inside the gas tank.I bet you have much the same setup.Have a look at a "Haynes" or similar repair manual at a parts store or your library to confirm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts