Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hopefully getting a 1992 Dakota as a trade for my Accord. But it doesent have a tachometer and i just like having one. I would just like to know if there is any way to swap in a later OEM gauge cluster that has a tachometer or do i have to get a autozone gauge.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Im hopefully getting a 1992 Dakota as a trade for my Accord. But it doesent have a tachometer and i just like having one. I would just like to know if there is any way to swap in a later OEM gauge cluster that has a tachometer or do i have to get a autozone gauge.
I don't have the wiring diagram for a 1st gen Dakota. You mention that you are are thinking of getting it as a trade against your vehicle.
First of all, what kind of engine (magnum, 3.9 V6 or 5.2 V8)..or do you know?

The first gen Dakotas were throttle body fuel injection and in 1992, they introduced the Magnum series
with sequential port Fuel injection, which required a different ECM, which Chrysler calls a PCM (Powertrain Computing Module). The PCM uses two sensors for engine timing, the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor.

The electro-mechanical tach in the instrument cluster, (available on later year models) is driven by the PCM,
from pulses derived from the crankshaft sensor via the data link called the CCD bus.
(CCD stands for Chrysler Collision Detection bus and all electronic controllers used are connected to it. )

The PCM provides the tach drive (being a electro-mechanical tach) through the data link to the MIC instrument controller.

The instrument cluster in the later models has a MIC controller, (Mechanical instrument controller) and because of the odometer, and the regulations that the odometer should not be able to be easily reset by the owner, only the Chrysler dealer can do that. if necessary.

So to answer your question in a roundabout way...

It is not going to be easy to swap instrument clusters, because of:

1. size/shape and fitting bezels
2. and even if you can, how are you going to deal with the odometer issue? (mileage on original odometer vs replacement
odometer?
3. How are your going to deal with the odometer mismatch between the odometer driven by the cluster controller and
stored locally in flash memory vs and the mileage also stored in the PCM flash memory?
There is a P-code (check engine light) if the two don't agree.

Why not go to an aftermarket tach like Stewart-Warner...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah you might not be able to do that, i'd go with an aftermarket gauge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts