Dakota Forumz banner

Gauges going crazy

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
I joined because I am chasing an elusive electrical issue. I have seen others with similar issues but no cures that have worked for me. I will be driving and three of the small gauges drop to zero, all but the fuel. They pop back up and then the fuel drops off. The speedo and tach are working fine, the truck runs like a top, and the abs and parking brake lights flash at random intervals. The biggest thing is the odometer keeps going to "NO BUS", while there, it does not record mileage, but the overhead thing does. I know this because the overhead console does give me accurate info about MPG and how many miles left per tank. I have checked all of the grounds I could find, checked all fuses, checked connections, tried a different instrument cluster and it immediately did the same thing. I don't want to be a parts changer, but is there a way to narrow it down to the computer? That's where its starting to point. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 liter quad cab 2 wheel drive. Any help would be great. I would not worry about it but its getting worse and I don't know what my mileage is anymore.

#5 ·
Though my Dakota is older (1996), I had a strange problem with all the gauges going goofy, and instrument lights going out. It would come back to normal if I banged on the dashboard. That told me I had a bad ground. I took out the instrument cluster, and on the bench I found that it comes apart like a sandwich. Top and bottom board, making contact through several pins. Since reassembly, I haven't had the problem. Evidently it was a bad connection on one of the push-together pins. Good luck with yours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.