Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to the forum and had a few questions to ask. How reliable are the 5.9 magnums? Specifically in a 4 door 2000 Dakota. I know gas would be expensive but that's not my main issue. I'm just wondering if it will be a good truck for me. Off road wise like hitting few trails and hauling cars?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
699 Posts
I have an '03 with a 5.9, but there is a member of the board who goes by Arrow that can tell you way more about 'em than I can.

As far as I know, the basic block has been around forever and is proven.

I've had mine since summer of '14, but I also have two ,other pickups and I am at a point in my life where I don't drive any of them that much and mine now only has about 75k, so I cannot be used as an accurate barometer.

However, I've read several posters talking about over 200k on their 5.9 daks.

I have read a ton of posts on this & another dak forum related to buggy PCMs (on all gen 2 Daks) and I wound up having my PCM repaired back in '18. (I don't remember the mileage, but it was obviously between 48k & 75k at the time. I could always check.)

Besides that, I recently dropped my tranny pan (this is the 46RE in a 5.9 dak) & the bottom of the pan looked ugly. My front (second gear) band took a lot of adjusting to get 72 " lb.s on it, so I suspect that is what made/is making the mess. But, it shifts good (so far) and is solid in all gears, including second, (so far)

If I think of stuff, I'll post for you.
Mine is a good running truck..

Maybe Arrow will chime in for you.

On edit: "off road & hauling cars." Mine is 2wd & I don't go off road with this one. I totally beat my GMC 4wd, and I am not destroying my cherry dak. So I don't know how the 4wd Dak folks make out.

Hauling cars: more than enough power, but I think it might get squirrely as small as the dak is. I don't know. There is a member on this forum named Modstock; I think he does some towing. You might find his hello from Utah thread (I think it's recent on the board now) & read through it to see how he made out. But his isn't a 5.9, I THINK it's a 4.7.

And that reminds me, the OEM uoper rad hose has plastic union with filler cap in the middle; Modstock and another (the other was a 5.9) had that plastic union break & dumped coolant quick. The other guy never got back to us, but I think he roasted things pretty bad. I believe in periodic hose changes, but if you don't, at least consider the upper rad hose.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
699 Posts
Oh, and I don't know if this is imporatnt to you, on my '03 5.9 Dak, the PCM shuts it down at 116 mph. It gets there pretty quick, but that's all she's got as it stands. A few years ago I was inquiring & considering whatever computer tuning it would take to over-ride that, but I decided for me, personally, I don't feel the need for speed all that often and reliability is now my highest priority.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an '03 with a 5.9, but there is a member of the board who goes by Arrow that can tell you way more about 'em than I can.

As far as I know, the basic block has been around forever and is proven.

I've had mine since summer of '14, but I also have two ,other pickups and I am at a point in my life where I don't drive any of them that much and mine now only has about 75k, so I cannot be used as an accurate barometer.

However, I've read several posters talking about over 200k on their 5.9 daks.

I have read a ton of posts on this & another dak forum related to buggy PCMs (on all gen 2 Daks) and I wound up having my PCM repaired back in '18. (I don't remember the mileage, but it was obviously between 48k & 75k at the time. I could always check.)

Besides that, I recently dropped my tranny pan (this is the 46RE in a 5.9 dak) & the bottom of the pan looked ugly. My front (second gear) band took a lot of adjusting to get 72 " lb.s on it, so I suspect that is what made/is making the mess. But, it shifts good (so far) and is solid in all gears, including second, (so far)

If I think of stuff, I'll post for you.
Mine is a good running truck..

Maybe Arrow will chime in for you.

On edit: "off road & hauling cars." Mine is 2wd & I don't go off road with this one. I totally beat my GMC 4wd, and I am not destroying my cherry dak. So I don't know how the 4wd Dak folks make out.

Hauling cars: more than enough power, but I think it might get squirrely as small as the dak is. I don't know. There is a member on this forum named Modstock; I think he does some towing. You might find his hello from Utah thread (I think it's recent on the board now) & read through it to see how he made out. But his isn't a 5.9, I THINK it's a 4.7.

And that reminds me, the OEM uoper rad hose has plastic union with filler cap in the middle; Modstock and another (the other was a 5.9) had that plastic union break & dumped coolant quick. The other guy never got back to us, but I think he roasted things pretty bad. I believe in periodic hose changes, but if you don't, at least consider the upper rad hose.
I wouldn't take that truck off road. Underpinnings are not really made for that kind of abuse unless you change out all bushings to urethane and basically rebuild the front end with good parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts