Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You folks have been busy! Well, Dad's '93 Dakota 4x4 needs new tires and I was wondering what the general preference was? :confused: And, I still want to be able to hear the radio (once I get one that works)! :D So, a good choice for the best of On road & Off Combined. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
What size do you currently have? The two choices I had in mind were the Sport King A/T's and General Grabber AT2's. Both have an all terrain tread but very little noise, they're known to last with proper care and won't break the bank with their cost. I went with the Sport King's because I got a steal on them at $110 each since I did a cash and carry and mounted them myself. The only downside to them right now is finding them because production is suspended for a while. They're made my Michelin and I know several people that had them for about 4 years on their daily drivers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size do you currently have? The two choices I had in mind were the Sport King A/T's and General Grabber AT2's. Both have an all terrain tread but very little noise, they're known to last with proper care and won't break the bank with their cost. I went with the Sport King's because I got a steal on them at $110 each since I did a cash and carry and mounted them myself. The only downside to them right now is finding them because production is suspended for a while. They're made my Michelin and I know several people that had them for about 4 years on their daily drivers.
Not sure about the sizes, if I can find my flashlight, I'll go out and check, otherwise I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the input though, I'll get right on this, as it does need them. I'm looking for tires, cause I kinda hate to swap it off, even though the next generation is what I'd really like to have and the parts availability appeals to me too. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks again, Bill

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire sizes that are on the '93 Dakota 4x4 are P225/75R15. Now, I didn't check the truck info itself. Those are tires that my brother had put on there and might not be actual size that belong on there. Sorry it took so long, I got side tracked and forgot about that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree w/ Randy as far as brand goes. I used to be a bfg at only man, but after using two pairs of grabber at2s Im sold on them I see them as basically an exact copy of bfg at's cheaper.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have BFG AT's on my dakota, but recently we put ProComp All Terrains on my buddies Durango. They look similar, but have deeper sipes [spelling?], and bigger gaps between treads, but are no louder than the BFG ATs. We got them for a good deal, and were very impressed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I only have knowledge of the BFG's AT also, had them on my '93 dakota when i sold it. Got alot of happy miles out of them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BFG AT's are awesome tires but you'll pay a premium price for them. They're nearly double what my Sport King's cost and that's why I didn't get them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
BFG AT's are awesome tires but you'll pay a premium price for them. They're nearly double what my Sport King's cost and that's why I didn't get them.
I agree. With my sporty driving, they will still be effective at 80,000 miles though. I do find them a little too hard of a compound, although I have no real complaints.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing that one might consider also is BFG is a French owned company i believe. Thinking back when i bought my stock 31x10.5, 7-8 yrs ago they were $112 ? Here is the crazy part now... My G-II dak's tires are
Wrangler RT/S that was on the truck when i bought it about 6 years ago. I'd say they are a good tire.
After paying a tire dealer/shop in Durham for up/low ball joints,
steering box and alignment one of my front tires wore badly in about 6 months. A brake line rots thru from Illinois salted winter roads. Get some new pads, line, bleed. ( different shop) Decide to use my 'new' spare for a tire. Call a guy i fish with/against about a tire my size, he Gives me a like new BFG AT.
Ok, i know it's a bit , dare i say , red neck, but he said he will sell me 4 more, less than half used in December... he's buying new ones for his wife's Cherroke. So by default i will be running AT again. Besides, there are plenty of Reds in Illinois and proud to be one of them. Well, on a side note, i haven't collected a check in almost three years now so that trumped any other move. As soon as i get the other tires, i'll send you a smokey tire pic...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So, where can you get the Sport Kings, what do they look like and how much are they? I've priced a set of the General Grabber AT2 and wondered how the Sport Kings compare? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bill do some 235/75R15 BFG All-Terrains...............not to noisey and look great..............good ride too..........

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill do some 235/75R15 BFG All-Terrains...............not to noisey and look great..............good ride too..........
Thanks for the input Jake, I'll check them out. I'm in no rush, so I've got time to check around. ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just put a set of G/Y Wrangler authority on my 01 in 265/75 16. I think I am going to like them. got about 1000 miles on them. One week on the white river refuge in the mud and muck. I was constantly pulling out my buddies f-250's. It's slick old gumbo mud down there. I NEVER EVEN HAD TO USE 4WD!! I just pulled off a set of worn out MUD kings. I wanted another set but got a really good deal on the G/Y. 600$ for the set brand new this guy tried to put them on a 2010 Z-71 and they rubbed. they cut me a deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put on some 265/75/16 Kelly Safari TSR its an aggressive all terrain so far very quiet the handle nice I haven't done any off road yet. they come in 6 ply or 10 ply i have the 6 ply,i can't wait for this winter for deep snow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm runnin 245/75/16 (second gen rims) and I just ordered 2 Goodyear MTRs! I'm pretty stoked! I'll let you know how it goes!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts