Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good scan tool to use on my 2000 dodge dakota? I also want to use it on a 2008 buick lucerne.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
ELM327 is the chip inside. There's several models, though.

Hit up Amazon for examples. Doing "ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth" for the search terms, I find them from $9 to $150 ... so a range, depending on your budget and how much you want to risk the cheap import units actually BEING an ELM327 based unit.

RwP

·
Registered
751 Posts
Any OBDII code reader will work on both of those vehicles, they can be found from $20 and up. My opinion is no need for any bleutooth connection, why make it more complicated then necessary.

If you want an advanced code reader, which will read & clear ABS (brake) and SRS (airbag) codes, those units will cost a lot more, say about $100+.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so there is now no need for the old style of reader with its own computer. we can use the elm327 and our own smart phone, computer, etc.. I doubt I'll ever need to read or clear abs and srs codes. I'm not a mechanic, hardly a shade tree mechnic but at 73 I'm working on old vehicles more than any thing else and enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Any OBDII code reader will work on both of those vehicles, they can be found from $20 and up. My opinion is no need for any bleutooth connection, why make it more complicated then necessary.

If you want an advanced code reader, which will read & clear ABS (brake) and SRS (airbag) codes, those units will cost a lot more, say about $100+.
OR - the Bluetooth adapter and Torque Free - can be had for under $20 easily in combination.

And you automatically get datalogging capability!

For what other readers do in that price range, you can do the key dance.

RwP

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is a good scan tool to use on my 2000 dodge dakota? I also want to use it on a 2008 buick lucerne.
I use a Autel MX808, I also use a OBDLink MX+ with OBDlink Android app , I also use Chrysler Pin Puller. I seem to have really good luck with this setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts