Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 dakota (v-6) 4x4 transfer case started trying to shift into 4 wheel by itself ( selector switch in 2 wheel),always at low speed---like in a parking lot when turn into a parking stall---once I even heard the transfer case shift when the ignition was off.Any ideas???
also FYI -I hade the front drive shaft CV go bad but i found a shop in Tx who makes a kick -ss replacement using real u-joints at both ends for about $275

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

I hope someone will be along to assist. I don't know anything about the 4x4's; sorry. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome, hope you find that little bugger and get your transfer case fixed, good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 dakota (v-6) 4x4 transfer case started trying to shift into 4 wheel by itself ( selector switch in 2 wheel),always at low speed---like in a parking lot when turn into a parking stall---once I even heard the transfer case shift when the ignition was off.Any ideas???
also FYI -I hade the front drive shaft CV go bad but i found a shop in Tx who makes a kick -ss replacement using real u-joints at both ends for about $275
Sure do. Transfer case shift motor has a bad sensor in it. I was going thru this with my SLT. I would unlock with the fob, and I would hear the transfer shift. Then if you were in a tight spot forget it. Crow hop all over the place. Plus the noise that came with it, scared the hell out me. Kept getting C-1404 trouble codes. Took it in to Dealer and they said it was possibly the switch, but that it was on national b/o. Hmmmm, that didn't sound good. Then I checked out a few other Dodge forums, but most had the problem being caused by the TSSM which is under the dash in frt of driver. So I jump over to the Dodge parts store to pick up the module. No such item in the '05, but was in the '04 down. Only two items in the list, a switch (didn't have) and the shift motor. So I purchased the shift motor(for $290), and installed it. A bit of a chore because the frt drv shaft has to come out. But the results was that the issue is resolved.
Good luck

Look on line to find lower cost part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be a dumb question. Please humor me. Are u-joints stronger than CV shaft and will they last longer? Please elaborate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts