Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I might as well let you all know that my Little '92 Dakota is getting a power mod, in the way of a 440 Engine & a 727 Trans. It's still a long term project, but as soon as I have something to report AND show, I'll be posting it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got word this afternoon, that my 440 oil pan and pickup has arrived to be modified. Also said that the hand had some dents in it, but he'd take care of that before he did the mod on it. Of course, after he does his thing on the pan and the pickup, he'll be sending the whole package MY way! THAT'S what I am waiting for. :cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Very cool, and I'm curious as to the "oil pan mod?" Any idea when you should be getting your parts?

- Cajun

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool, and I'm curious as to the "oil pan mod?" Any idea when you should be getting your parts?

- Cajun
Not exactly sure when I'll be getting those parts. I'm hoping with in the next week maybe. It'll be awhile before it's up and running, but the more I can get done, the happier I'll be. As soon as I can, after I get these parts in
(mounts, oil pan w/pickup and headers), I'm hoping to do a mockup, with the engine and trans in place, to see just what kind of clearance I have around the engine and also between the carbs and the hood. The oil pan is a big block Truck oil pan with the sump at the rear, but the front of the sump has to be notched to clear the crossmember of the frame.

That shows the pan mod and then the pickup has to be lengthened slightly. See what I mean? Really anxious about this build.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ah ok. I was curious because on my old Ram, '81 D150 318/727, we were running a larger oil pan and had to mod the sump. Heck, the dipstick was even too short to check the oil on that one lol! What's the capacity on the one you're going with?

- Cajun

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ok. I was curious because on my old Ram, '81 D150 318/727, we were running a larger oil pan and had to mod the sump. Heck, the dipstick was even too short to check the oil on that one lol! What's the capacity on the one you're going with?

- Cajun
I can well imagine that it WAS too short. My oil pan is a stock truck 440 pan, Engine holds 5 quarts w/ the filter. I MAY add an engine oil cooler later on and of course that will increase the oil capacity a little. With me going to lower the truck 3"-4" anyway and didn't want to have anything possibly hanging too low, you know? At this point, it is hard for me to visualize how it's going to look and drive. So, I'm getting anxious. Need to find a rear end too (9 1/4).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hehehehe, we had a 9 qt. oil pan on the D150, but then again, we modded the heck out of it, too! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehehehe, we had a 9 qt. oil pan on the D150, but then again, we modded the heck out of it, too! :)

- Cajun

Oh, I see! :D But it's gone now, huh? Even though I am looking to simplify this one, in the way of engine electrics and such, I DO plan on ADDING a few things that it DIDN'T already have. For example, it may sound silly, but I want power windows and mirrors for starters.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, unfortunately it is gone now. Much as I love my dad, lol, it was at his insistence that I sold it, which I did in '08 when I bought my new truck. My only regret is that he was in such a hurry for me to get rid of it that I (he - long story haha) ended up selling it to a guy who knew absolutely nothing about what he was looking at under the hood and therefore, couldn't appreciate what all had been done to it, much less what it was capable of and I was pretty disappointed in what I sold it for just to make my dad happy lol. Live and learn I guess, but I am going to be very particular about who I sell my Jeep to, if I do, hopefully someone who will restore it and enjoy it as I did. :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, unfortunately it is gone now. Much as I love my dad, lol, it was at his insistence that I sold it, which I did in '08 when I bought my new truck. My only regret is that he was in such a hurry for me to get rid of it that I (he - long story haha) ended up selling it to a guy who knew absolutely nothing about what he was looking at under the hood and therefore, couldn't appreciate what all had been done to it, much less what it was capable of and I was pretty disappointed in what I sold it for just to make my dad happy lol. Live and learn I guess, but I am going to be very particular about who I sell my Jeep to, if I do, hopefully someone who will restore it and enjoy it as I did. :)

- Cajun
I completyely understand the deal with the selling of that truck and your Dad being involved. Let me quickly tell YOU one that involved Me & MY Dad and a '58 Chevy Impala (348 V8 engine). I was in the Air Force and stationed at Charleston AFB, SC and had swapped my '56 Plymouth for a fairly nice '58 Chevy (this was in 1967 BTW). I was at Charleston for about a year and found that I was part of a chosen few to be cross trained into other fields. I chose Jet ACFT, 1 & 2 engine and went to Sheppard AFB to cross train and went home and then onto Misawa AFB Japan for 2 yrs. I left my Chevy in my Dad's hands. I had a fresh set of front fenders for that one and had plans for when I got back to the states. I was gone maybe a month or 2 and got a letter from my parents. It seems my dad didn't want my car sitting out in front of the house for that long and SOLD IT for FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!!!! To say I was upset, would be an understatement, but what could I do? It wasn't like I could just go back home real quick like and raise the roof about it. I just had to accept it and go on. I am a Dyed In The Wool Mopar Fanatic, BUT I REALLY liked that '58 Impala and that 348 was a pretty god runner too! Well, I tried not to go too deep into this, but I REALLY DID like that car. Price them now. Anyway, I couldn't hold a grudge too long and I guess he figured that, by the time I got back, I'd be over it. :rolleyes:

Also, I wanted to say, I just got word that my oil pan and pickup are finished and he hopes to get my package shipped out by this coming Monday or Tuesday. :cool: Oh! Oh! I can feel the excitement level building! Now, just have to get this weather out of here! ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh man, that would really have to suck!!! I don't know that I could have gotten over it though lol, heck, I'm not completely over losing my truck and it's been almost 3 years lol! That's good news on the oil pan though, look forward to hearing about it when you get it!

- Cajun

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh man, that would really have to suck!!! I don't know that I could have gotten over it though lol, heck, I'm not completely over losing my truck and it's been almost 3 years lol! That's good news on the oil pan though, look forward to hearing about it when you get it!

- Cajun
Well, when I got home, before going on to Hamilton AFB in California, I was looking for another car. Now me still being in the service (back in the 60's), folks weren't too quick to do a loan w/o a cosigner. I really wasn't completely over the '58 either, I thought my parents would cosign for me and I'd be set. I found a Cherry '66 Dodge Charger (in 1969) and that one was Red, w/ white interior. Had a 383 4 barrel engine/ 4speed trans & positrac (Sure Grip). Looked great and ran like a scalded dog! Then my parents wouldn't cosign for me! Now, my Grandmother (my Dad's Mother) was living with us (my Granddad had passed away a year earlier) and she told me (when we were not with my parents) that she would loan me the money! I was ecstatic! My parents found out and weren't to happy, but could not change my Grandmother's mind. So, they gave in and didn't cause any problems. I got to buy that Charger and I was in HIGH COTTON! So, you might say that, in a round about way, I got even.

Yeah, when I get my package, I'll be talking and taking pictures. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, got my invoice today, paid for the parts and now just have to wait for them to arrive. :cool:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got my invoice today, paid for the parts and now just have to wait for them to arrive. :cool:

Update: Paypal payment finally arrived to the place and my Parts will be shipped ASAP (by tomorrow, I hope)

Gonna be cool if they show up here, while we still have decent weather! ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Parts are due to arrive Tomorrow by Fedex! The weather is supposed to be Great for the next few days too! Can't get much better than that. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts