Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 quad cab dak that if not driven few days, the
engine sounds like it is growling loudly for about 1/4 mile. then
t settles down to normal engine noise. anyone else do this?
thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think all trucks tend to be a little noisy at first when they haven't run for a while, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I suspect it's the fan clutch. The clutch remains engaged for the first couple of minutes after the engine is started, then, if the engine is cold, will disengage and quiet down. Normally, it just makes the 'whooshing' sound, but if the bearings in the clutch are getting worn, it may be described as 'growling'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks
Take off your surpentine belt and check your idler pulleys, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor and water pump pulleys. If one of them does not spin freely or spins roughly or has excessive play, you may have found the issue. Note how your belt came off so it doesn’t take time to figure out how to put it back on correctly.

Sometimes these bearings if bad quiet down once the engine warms up, but not forever. They will eventually fail and completely seize up, burn the belt off in a few seconds and can cause major damage to the components on the front of the engine and radiator.

This is a very quick and easy way to tell if all your bearings are good on your fan belt components.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect it's the fan clutch. The clutch remains engaged for the first couple of minutes after the engine is started, then, if the engine is cold, will disengage and quiet down. Normally, it just makes the 'whooshing' sound, but if the bearings in the clutch are getting worn, it may be described as 'growling'.
Thing is its not every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2004 SLT with the 4.7 liter has made the noises oldmarine describes since it was new (I am the original owner). Is there a way you could video it and post it to YouTube?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may not growl every time. If your not willing to see which component is making noise by starting with the easy stuff, you are not going to find it. Outside temperatures and a host of other variables can cause intermittent bearing noises.

You have got to start somewhere and this is the easiest path and not intrusive......5 minutes tops😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem for 6 months and it would go away for a while, turned out to be the main idler pulley on the surpentine belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks
I have a 2005 SLT quad cab 4X4. I moved from AZ to northern UT. When the weather turned cold, the engine would make a loud whirring(?) sound after a cold start. After driving a half mile or so it would stop. It would sometimes make the noise when accelerating to merge into traffic on the highway. I changed the idler, pully, and serpentine belt all at once. Noise disappeared and hasn't come back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts