Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang,
i have an 88 base with a 3.9 3 sp/od. in the mornings when i first leave out the first initial upshift i have to really tach it up to shift the first time but as the trip goes on the more it shifts the smoother it gets. i just changed the fluid and filter. Although there was a lot of debris/wear materials in the pan it still pulls and shifts good after the cold start issue. Any thing i can do to correct this? i hate to rev it so high as it's pretty high miles on the truck 150k.:confused:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!

my 2000 did the same thing. had the fluid and filter changed too. had a problem with a leak so i took it back to have them drop the pan and redo it, dont think they put in new fluid but did drain and refill it, but had the same leak a second time so took it back. basically i had my pan and fluid taken out three times and now i dont have the issue anymore

long story short, maybe it takes awhile for the fluid to flush through all the way to get to the problem, or maybe change it once or twice more to make sure you get all the junk out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay....NOW i've lost reverse. when I put it in the reverse position, it feels like it can't decide between forward and reverse. it seems to go forward fine except for the hard 2-3 first thing. i'm thinking/hoping for a piston or o-ring issue. can anyone tell me for sure or am i going to have to drop the tranny.

·
Registered
115 Posts
how long had it been sence the fluid was changed when you changed it... it could have been way overdue and that debris was what was holding it together and now its all gone and it has way too much play in the parts due to the extra wear on everything and now its letting go...
i hope thats not the case but ya know how that goes...
and where do you live like how cold is it there... could try a trans pan heater so the fluid and trans is already warm when you go to start it up in the morning??

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
how long had it been sence the fluid was changed when you changed it... it could have been way overdue and that debris was what was holding it together and now its all gone and it has way too much play in the parts due to the extra wear on everything and now its letting go...
i hope thats not the case but ya know how that goes...
and where do you live like how cold is it there... could try a trans pan heater so the fluid and trans is already warm when you go to start it up in the morning??
good points Jason! are you sure you're only 21? :)

yeah i would take it to a good trustworthy transmission shop. if it were me, i wouldnt mess around at all with the valve body. i have heard people say its not that bad, but i dont know transmissions so i stay away

·
Registered
115 Posts
x2 on what jerry said...
and yup ill be 22 on the 22nd lol... im a diesel mechanic in the national guard so i have some experience there and dad was always doing stuff when i was growing up so i kinda fell into it and love working on things but when it comes to transmissions i tend to stray away unless its dropping one and throwing another in lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts