Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my heater and evap core (only heater core was leaking) in the process I also bought new blower motor fan and resistor. I connected everything back and now having some problem which I did not have before. First the brake light would not go off, I realized it was the switch, but instead of taking off just the switch I unbolted the frame I attaches to, now I don't know how far from the pedal it should be. Second the climate control panel light stays on when key is out, and when I turn the lights on all the instruments light up and the climate panel shuts off, also none of the climate control panel switches are working. Every connection is hooked up correctly and ground wires are installed.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
986 Posts
As far as the brake lights, according to the FSM, the switch must be adjusted upon first installing it, and is not adjustable after that:

INSTALLATION
(1) Press and hold brake pedal down.
(2) Align tab on new switch with notch in switch
bracket. Then insert switch in bracket and turn it
clockwise about 30° to lock it in place.
(3) Connect harness wires to switch.
(4) Release brake pedal.
(5) Move the release lever (Fig. 2) on the switch to
engage the switch plunger. The switch is now
adjusted and can not be adjusted again.

Font Auto part Engineering Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
986 Posts
For your climate control issue, you have power coming in to the panel even with the key off. When you turn on the lights, the power from the light switch is 'canceling' the power already there and the lamps in the panel go off.

Did you redo any of the wiring when you replaced the blower motor and the resistor, such as the connector for the resistor? You may have misconnected some of the wires. I can post the applicable wiring diagrams if you wish.

You state that none of the functions work, but are you sure? I suspect that the blower switch doesn't work, but check to see if the mode switch is working properly. With the key on, engine off, move the mode switch through its various positions (defrost, lower ducts, dash ducts, recycle, etc) and listen to see if you can hear the mode door actuators working. Try this with the blower switch in different positions -- Off, 1, 2, etc. If the mode doors are working, even in only one blower motor switch position, then it's just the blower motor wiring that is crossed up somewhere. Note which blower switch position(s) allow the mode doors to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the brake lights, according to the FSM, the switch must be adjusted upon first installing it, and is not adjustable after that:

INSTALLATION
(1) Press and hold brake pedal down.
(2) Align tab on new switch with notch in switch
bracket. Then insert switch in bracket and turn it
clockwise about 30° to lock it in place.
(3) Connect harness wires to switch.
(4) Release brake pedal.
(5) Move the release lever (Fig. 2) on the switch to
engage the switch plunger. The switch is now
adjusted and can not be adjusted again.

View attachment 4023
I had removed #2(the bracket) instead of twisting the switch #4. How do I get the right distance to the pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For your climate control issue, you have power coming in to the panel even with the key off. When you turn on the lights, the power from the light switch is 'canceling' the power already there and the lamps in the panel go off.

Did you redo any of the wiring when you replaced the blower motor and the resistor, such as the connector for the resistor? You may have misconnected some of the wires. I can post the applicable wiring diagrams if you wish.

You state that none of the functions work, but are you sure? I suspect that the blower switch doesn't work, but check to see if the mode switch is working properly. With the key on, engine off, move the mode switch through its various positions (defrost, lower ducts, dash ducts, recycle, etc) and listen to see if you can hear the mode door actuators working. Try this with the blower switch in different positions -- Off, 1, 2, etc. If the mode doors are working, even in only one blower motor switch position, then it's just the blower motor wiring that is crossed up somewhere. Note which blower switch position(s) allow the mode doors to work.
I'm gonna pull the dash back off today, but I will check on the control panels again. Just frustrated yesterday and gave up. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had removed #2(the bracket) instead of twisting the switch #4. How do I get the right distance to the pedal.
I would remove the switch from the bracket, and put the bracket back in as close as you can remember to where it was positioned when you took it out. You may be able to see 'witness marks' from the bolts or where the bracket meets the frame. But the adjustment is done at the switch, not the bracket. So once the bracket is back in, mount the switch and see if the lights work properly. If not, you'll have to replace the switch. (Around $10 plus shipping from RockAuto, about $20 from local auto parts stores.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would remove the switch from the bracket, and put the bracket back in as close as you can remember to where it was positioned when you took it out. You may be able to see 'witness marks' from the bolts or where the bracket meets the frame. But the adjustment is done at the switch, not the bracket. So once the bracket is back in, mount the switch and see if the lights work properly. If not, you'll have to replace the switch. (Around $10 plus shipping from RockAuto, about $20 from local auto parts stores.)
Awesome thanks. I'll get on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna pull the dash back off today, but I will check on the control panels again. Just frustrated yesterday and gave up. Thanks for the reply
So it was the blower motor resistor. I put the old one back and it fixed every electrical problem. Go figure. Except the brake switch, which I replace and got it working again. Thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
Glad you got everything working correctly again. Thanks for the followup -- it will help people in the future with similar issues. Surprising (maybe not so much these days) that a new resistor caused the electrical issues. Eric O on South Main Auto (YouTube) says "just because it's new doesn't mean it's good". True, but it's a darn shame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts